Window topped WoodShed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

leco

Nov 29, 2016
KY
I did a bit of a search and did not come up with anything. I am wondering if anyone has constructed a window topped wood shed. My goal in doing this is quicker seasoning times, in theory by getting more sun directly on the stack.

My local Restore had some rather large windows (~5 'x 6') ridiculously cheap. I need to rebuild one of my sheds, and thought this might be a good way to go. I really wanted to just get several storm door glass (or plexi) inserts, and make a roof out of them, but sometime you have to go with what's available. I'm slightly concerned with the amount of weight I'll be suspending, as the windows are quite heavy. But, I usually tend to 2x4 overbuild the crap out of things, so, it should be alright.

Anyone got thoughts on this?

If that is the article I am thinking of, the roof pitch is determined by your geographic location. In Vermont it is around 45-42ish degree slope. Western Mass would be 42-38ish Im guessing. No snow load is going to hang on a 12/12 pitch for very long.

Space your purlins accordingly, and don't use Home Depot 2x3's

I don't see any real gain but with my snow load a glass roof would not be the question.

https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/420/420-030/420-030_pdf.pdf

Windows are heavy, and will leak, eventually.

Great document vtwoodheater! They are quite heavy. If they eventually give up, I am fine with that. I am just hoping they last longer than the silver tarp covered version from the first go round, and wear in a manner that is a bit less self destructing. I'm in a 100% suburban location, so I am trying to make it look a bit more visually appealing both at build time, and when it's been out there a while.

Snow load would make that a non starter here for sure. Any snow in Kentucky?

We do have some snow here, a dusting here, and inch or two there, and maybe one good blanket, a year. Not too much really, to the point that no one around here generally even considers snow load.

I got the windows. It was only $5 for a pair, so, worth an experiment. I am now wondering though if I should try to make them into a kiln instead of just a window topped shed.

There was a guy, i think in maryland, had some pictures up of a wood shed he had built with part of the roof as clear corrugated. His drying results were OK but not fabulous.

The one i am thinking of had a bare dirt floor.

The three stunning kiln results i know of are all here and all three, me, solarguy2003 and woodsplitter67 all had a layer of plastic in the flooring to keep ground water from coming into the hot kiln as vapor.

Maybe windowed walls and clear corrugated roof with however many purlins it takes for snow load v- roof slope?

some windows block uv's think probably plastic roofing too. that's going to block it as much as normal anything. I leave mine open from when its split to fall when it starts raining then I cover it with old plastic shed someone one was throwing away. and weigh it down with bricks. similar to making a rack with metal or plastic roof I imagine, we don't get much summer but seems to work sun and wind directly on the row

A great idea in theory. https://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/solar-kiln

The material in question(glass) would be my concern as well. I stack my shed to the roof and often hit it during reload in spring. Glass window that large in area is tempered by code and wont just crack with a hit, it will shatter. I would second the poly panel idea.

There was a small greenhouse with a dirt floor that came with my last house when I bought it. Not having the time to grow things in it, but having a wood stove, I used it for a wood shed.

If you don't have good ventilation in a scenario like that, it just "rains" in there everyday. When it gets warm the air pulls the water out of the ground. At night it condenses.

As far as snow goes, this thing was not the best construction, but it made it through the winter of 2010 in CT which was monumental. Admittedly, I would pull the snow off the glass whenever I had a chance.

I don' think that there will be much value In adding glass to the top of the shed. I am not sayig that there is no benefit
Shed orientation would be the best bet. And the most gain as well as a shed that promotes alot of air.
My shed faces south and has removable back and sides. In the am the sun is on the front side and in the pm the sun hits the back side and the latter spring summer and early fall the prevailing southerly winds blow through my stacks. All of this decreases the drying time of the splits front as well as back. The shed is elevated so air will also draw up.
Hope the helps
If your in need of drying with in 12 months your in need of a solar kiln.. You would be able to do at least 3 cords this way