1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Winslow PS40 Wont ignite (yes i have read) :)

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Ubaisore, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Ubaisore

Ubaisore New Member

Hi there

I have gotten a lot of good advice reading here, but have come up with an issue i cant solve.

I have a Winslow Country pellet stove PS40. I have worked well since I bought used 3 years ago. This is is my 4th season buring. This year, it decided not to ignite. I hopped on and found out that since I could manually light and it would run fine, and since i didnt show any codes on the control panel lights, that it was going to be the ignitor.

So i buy a new ingnitor and install this morning (after a good cleaning). Try to fire it up and nothing. So I am hoping there may be another testing prcedure (i have a FLuke meter and am somewhat profeicient with elec testing).

I also felt the igniter tube, burn pot, etc after the failed start up. It was not hot at all.

I appreciate any tips you can give as I really miss the start up with the push of a button!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    See if voltage is getting to the igniter. If not, the old igniter may have taken out a fuse on the control board.
  3. Ubaisore

Ubaisore New Member

Do you know what voltage they should be getting? (or are you ruling out a fuse?) I am going to check that now BTW...thank you!
  4. heat seeker

Loc:
    Northern CT
    AFAIK, all ignitors get 120 VAC. You could also do a continuity check on the new ignitor: new doesn't always = good. Assuming the ignitor is good, and you get no voltage to it on startup, first suspects are the connections, wiring, and fuse. Sometimes when ignitors quit, they take a fuse with them.

Knowing how to use a meter is a big plus! I'd feel naked without mine, have one in every toolbox and then some. I've been accumulating them for years.

ETA: you mention cleaning…look for any wires you may have pinched; measure resistance to ground from the ignitor wires. Wouldn't be the first ignitors wires that got pinched!
  5. Ubaisore

Ubaisore New Member

Boy do I feel like an idiot. The fuse holder is in the control box and you can open it and see about a third of the fuse. I did that before buying the giniter and the end looked ok. So i decided to take it apart and, lo and behold, the fuse burnt on the other end and looked ok in the short area i could see. I am off to find a 6A fuse as all my automotive ones are too large amp ratings.

Thank you for the kick in the butt to not "half a**" the initial steps.

And do you happen to know where i can buy the actual "knob" for the fan control....ours fell off and my fingers are getting tired oll
  6. heat seeker

Loc:
    Northern CT