winter 2014/15 wood suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mol1jb

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2014
Central IL
Hey all,

Slight problem on my hands. I have my wood split and stacked for 2014-15 winter since last fall. However like this winter it's mostly Oak. Now as most of you know and I just found out this year it takes more than one year to season Oak. And I have fought through it this year with the unseasoned oak and not really wish to do it again next winter. Any ideas on this dilemma?

Maple, ash, even black locust split small would beat that oak to 20%. Get some pine ,soft maple or sass for shoulder season at the very least.

I am in the same boat, so I have been stacking soft maple and some Black Cherry all winter. I think it will be pretty good next year. I'm trying to stack another four cords of soft maple and cherry soon so that I have wood for 2015/16 stacked and my oak, stacked last summer, can wait until 16/17. Pine or spruce would also be a good choice for one year of seasoning.

Reactions: blazincajun
Ya thats what I was thinking. What saved me this winter is a mix of walnut, ash, elm and maple. I'll have to get working on that pronto.

At the risk of being tarred and feathered by the folks that just like to leave it sitting a long time, a solar kiln shed comes to mind. i.e., use the summer sun to cook your wood, and accelerate beyond the default assumptions of drying rate. Not being lumber, you don't have to concern yourself with the lumber concerns of drying too fast or unevenly...

The first one at least has been mentioned here before (and is mentioned in the second one)

http://www2.dnr.cornell.edu/ext/info/pubs/Harvesting/CC Accelerated Seasoning of Firewood.pdf

Greenhouse film is not too dear if you shop carefully and does hold up for years (unlike plain plastic film.)
Don't get too wrapped up in the fans, etc - you can use a "solar chimney" if the design does not move enough air on it's own, and as mentioned, you are not drying lumber.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/WoodDrying/wood_kiln.htm

Note that in the summer you actually get more heat from east and west as opposed to the south, so exposure is variable depending what you have available.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
If you were my neighbor I'd offer all the dead standing elm I have on the farm. It's good BTUs, but you'll need a good splitter.

Ash, Ash, Ash, and more Ash. Then Maple, most kinds, Black Locust if your lucky. If you come across some pine, use it as fill and mix it in. Get it stacked off the ground in the sun and wind, single rows before April 1.

Reactions: TreePointer
When all else fails cut Poplar. I know it burns like newspapers...
But thats what I start fires with.
And its a renewable resource.

So black locust in a faster drying hardwood? I do have some of that around. Will definitely keep that in mind this spring. Thanks for all the feed back guys.

Hey all,

Slight problem on my hands. I have my wood split and stacked for 2014-15 winter since last fall. However like this winter it's mostly Oak. Now as most of you know and I just found out this year it takes more than one year to season Oak. And I have fought through it this year with the unseasoned oak and not really wish to do it again next winter. Any ideas on this dilemma?

Good to hear that you are on top of this thing and know you need to do more. However, I would have to ask what type of wood can you get in your area? Not just what is there, but what is there for you to get.

Does Pine sap cause chimney problems?

Dry the pine just like you would any wood and it will be fine. Don't believe the old wives tales about pine; it is fine.

Reactions: tfdchief
Well, I manage a camp with 275 acres of hardwoods. I only harvest downed wood for the camp firewood supply and the ranger house I live in. The usual species that I collect are lots of oak, some ash, some walnut, a little hickory, occational sugar maple and black cherry. This is the same ratio.of what I am burning this winter on 1 year seasoned wood. Everything but the oak and hickory are burning well.

Well, I manage a camp with 275 acres of hardwoods. I only harvest downed wood for the camp firewood supply and the ranger house I live in. The usual species that I collect are lots of oak, some ash, some walnut, a little hickory, occational sugar maple and black cherry. This is the same ratio.of what I am burning this winter on 1 year seasoned wood. Everything but the oak and hickory are burning well.

You should be good for one full year on the listed wood stacked in single rows, smaller splits, in sunlight off the ground. Except for the oak. That takes a minimum of 2 yrs in good conditions preferably 3. Keep the oak separate.

Start cutting the ash off that property - if it is not dead yet, it will be soon - unfortunately! Keep an eye on the ash this spring and if is "flagging" (limited and stunted leaf out) take it as it is already dead and just doesn't know it yet. Another sign is lots of sticker shoots growing out of the trunk even on large trees - these are definite signs of EAB.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.