Winter arrived & headed East! Pic heavy.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyline

Burning Hunk
Oct 29, 2009
Oregon
Just before the big storm arrived we got some wood down for next year.
My son helped out yarding a couple of alder before the snow really landed yesterday.

The first one is of him hooking up a choker on the Alder down in the hole.
The 2nd is after getting it up on the driveway.

Some more alder and the beginnings of next years wood supply.

The last 2 pics are what we woke up to yesterday morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 751
  • IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0786.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_0749.jpg
    IMG_0749.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 751
  • IMG_0780.jpg
    IMG_0780.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 742
  • DSC_8557_2.jpg
    DSC_8557_2.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 738
  • DSC_8568.jpg
    DSC_8568.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 764
Good deal on the wood and quite a bit of snow for you folks! Might be nice to skid the logs over snow instead of dirt for a while. Cheers!

Looks like you have some large trees there skyline. You also have some winter now too!

On the skidding of the logs, the only problem is that dragging them on the ground also puts lots of dirt in the bark. This dirt is what will dull your chains super fast. Having snow will help for sure. You can also build yourself a dray so you can skid and keep the logs out of the dirt.

Thanks Backwoods. A little dirt on the log is the tradeoff for not having to hand carry each round up to the road. As NH_wood said the snow helps out even more.
Skidding trays generally won't work here in the brush, just too many obstacles and the ground rarely, if ever gets hard enough.

As long as I don't skid it down the driveway, I won't pick up any rock since there is no rock in the brush. If I can't fall them in the road, I drag them there so I can work them up

I would think you should start seeing some of this moisture in a couple of days, we have a pineapple express with no end in sight. Our area ski hill had received 78" in the last 7 days!

The snow that you receive out there is here now but mostly snowed out. More on the way tomorrow and tomorrow night but only 2-3". Maybe that will warm things up around here. After the mild winter, now with temperatures in teens and lower at night really seem super cold.

we suppose to be in the 70s in a few days. I wish we would get snow, maybe even loose power. That way i can watch our hated neighbors suffer. She is a truck 8itch!!! They live in an old victorian farmhouse and their heatpump runs nonstop, even on days in the 50s! I see them walk around the house in sweatshirts n hoodies!

Did i mention how much i hate the neighbors.

It should be in the east Friday night or Saturday. Hope winter is finally coming we need the snow. I know......... most here don't want to hear about snow, but I ski most weekends. I'm headin up to Vermont tomorrow night for the weekend.

the snow is beautiful. I'm glad YOU are having it ;-)

Ken

skyline, Way to get started on your future wood and beating the storms! I love burning alder! It gets up to temp real fast. And it splits SO easy! I love the smell of alder smoke too. And it's my choice for smoking fresh caught salmon, yum! We are flooding down here in Marion County.

My sister's property and my future firewood trees are under water from the Little Pudding River, see the pic from today. This is just a small portion of their property in the picture. I get to clean up all the blow downs and branch falls on their property and use for firewood, since they don't burn wood. I've already cut all the standing deads. I have my 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 wood stored on their property up on the hill to the right of where the picture was taken, so it's fine. Their house is up on the hill too, so there is no danger of their house flooding.

I hope you don't have mudslides on your hills. The news is showing a lot of mudslides with this storm. Oregon should be a scroungers paradise in the next month or two, what do you think?

Stay safe!

Attachments

• pasture.jpg
    pasture.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 574
Hey, after posting that pic, I see a large branch down! I have a future scrounge lined up, yes! Most of those trees in the water are ash trees and a little oak and some hawthorne down at the normal creek edge, which has spilled into the pasture big time.

Do you see it? I hope it does not get swept away by the flood, eek! :bug:

Great pictures.
That a nice stack of rounds :)

I like how easy alder is to handle, and it dries fast. Nice looking piece of property.

clemsonfor said:
we suppose to be in the 70s in a few days. I wish we would get snow, maybe even loose power. That way i can watch our hated neighbors suffer. She is a truck 8itch!!! They live in an old victorian farmhouse and their heatpump runs nonstop, even on days in the 50s! I see them walk around the house in sweatshirts n hoodies!

Did i mention how much i hate the neighbors.

True 8itch!! "Truck 8itch" has a different meaning haha.

love the last pic of the snow on the pines. I can hear the quiet!

Thanks guys. The snow sure looked pretty on the fir trees and I love the quiet. Sadly it's all gone already, but at least we can get out the driveway finally. Took all day to do it though.

Bigfoot, glad to hear your sister's house is high and dry. That flooding business is no fun at all. Luckily no slides here, we should be safe until the big quake:coolcheese:

And yes the scrounging will be good. My neighbors house with lots of tall firs looks like a war zone. Needless to say, the power went out for most of Wed.
Just say the word next time you need some alder for smoking some fish. That's a no brainer! I was out at a farm yesterday I take care of and the apple and cherry trees were a mess. Broken off or tipped over so I'll have some apple&cherry; wood as soon as I can drive in there. The snow was still a foot deep. I have never burned oak or ash yet but hopefully one of these winters. Big winds forecasted again tonight so I suspect we'll see a lot of trees tipped over with the ground being saturated. Keep dry!

Sleet, snow and freezing rain coming our way tonight through tomorrow.

Why does it sometimes string your post way out to the sides like mine is a few lines up, then others it dosent?

Just a thought if i use quick reply and type a long thing out does it then do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.