1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Winter weight bar and chain oil?

Post in 'The Gear' started by jlightning, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Wildo

Wildo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    jackmanistan, maine

I guess I oughta stop complaining about it being over ten bucks a gallon at the local places;em

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. STICK

STICK Member

Loc:
    COLORADO
    "old gear lube squeeze type bottle " THANKS for the tip. This hit me like a smack on the noggin. Here I have been pouring from the gallon jug opening cautious not to over fill the chain oil resevoir, and pitching those old gear lube jugs. Duh.
    pen likes this.
  3. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Better yet, find a gear lube jug with the same mouth as your bar oil jug, and just steal the nipple. I prefer to keep chemicals and oils in their properly-labeled jugs... avoids confusion.
  4. STICK

STICK Member

Loc:
    COLORADO
    Oh yes. This would be the answer. Gear lube squirt cap on a quart oil jug clearly labelled as bar oil. I like it. Thank you.

I use the same bar oil year round. Never saw "winter oil" The temps can vary wildy here in Colorado so I carry kerosene. If the oil is not spitting off the tip, I add kero. Also remove the bar to ensure it is clear. Carefully measuring the kero of course by eyeball (wink). Recently I started cutting at 50 degrees and soon we ratcheted down to below 20. But even at 50, the environment on the chain is not the outside temp, but rather the environment of the bar. I was cutting logs that were near zero overnight and were still frozen.
  5. I just bought the winter weight at tsc. Never noticed it there before. I wonder if they put it on clearance in the spring? They had a ton left.
  6. Tuneighty

Tuneighty Member

Loc:
    SC PA
    Bringing the oil inside the night before I get out to cut has worked swell for us.
  7. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Last week, I also saw that winter weight oil at my TSC for the first time ever. If I recall correctly, it was a brand I had never seen before. Also, TSC now has their own "Tractor Supply" brand of chains and chainsaw accessories--China stuff
  8. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I do have some quart oil bottles with gear lube tops on them, and while not a perfect fit, they always stay on. I've had better luck with the old "sport" type water bottle tops, which you pull up to squirt and push down to seal, as these used to be EXACTLY the same thread as a quart of oil. I always used them on my bottles of ATF, to fill transfer cases using such.
  9. Nixon

Nixon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Sunbury ,Pa.
    Another thing that makes a handy bar oil bottle is the king size dish soap bottles .
    HDRock, PapaDave and MasterMech like this.