1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Winter Wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Beardog, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Beardog

Beardog Member

Loc:
    NW CT
    I have 3 cord of 3 year seasoned oak and locust loaded up for the cold weather, what do you prefer to burn of the two? I like locust since I've had it before, but haven't had any 3 yr seasoned oak yet. Looking forward to some long burn times and good heat with either species.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Burn the Locust, the Oak probably isn't dry yet.
  3. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Don't have either type here.
    I'd burn the locust, it has less moisture from the get-go & will be drier than the oak.
    What type of oak? The red oaks are the slowest to dry. White oak should be primo after 3 years :)
  4. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Id burn the oak now and mix oak and locust when the real cold gets here, the oak should be just fine after three years.
    ScotO likes this.
  5. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    I agree with mixing it with the locust. More oak in the daytime, more and bigger locust for overnights.
    ScotO likes this.
  6. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I love 'em both. But locust wins in the longevity department no matter which way you slice it. It burns long and hot, and leaves a great coal bed. I like to mix the two, as was mentioned above. Oak likes to take off quick and hot, the locust is a little more sluggish to get going. And if you've had that oak split and stacked for three years, it should be ready to rock!
    Backwoods Savage and blujacket like this.
  7. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Unless it was sitting in a swamp or 90+ humidity those 3 years, the oak's gooder to go.
    The weather hasn't been real bad yet...here, so I'd save the good stuff (whatever that is to you), and burn the rest now.
    I'm still mixing in a bit of soft stuff with the oak during the day and bigger oak for overnight.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  8. Beardog

Beardog Member

Loc:
    NW CT
    Thanks. I'm sitting on roughly 11 cords right now, and the 3 year old stacks are 90% oak/locust. Been tossing in cherry and maple up to this point, but that is running low at this point. Need some cold weather!
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Beardog, that is one of those wonderful questions! Oh how many of us wish we had both oak and locust. Or even one or the other. You can't go wrong with either of those woods so just burn and be happy.
    PapaDave likes this.
  10. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I don't see a big difference between the two woods when I burn them. Both are among the best for long burning and lots of BTUs, although both are a little slow to start. If you have to start new fires, I'd save some lighter wood to mix with the oak and locust when you're starting.