Winter's Coming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ekg0477

Oct 15, 2014
Langhorne, PA
Mild winter last year resulted in a lot of left over. I only ordered 1 cord for this winter to replenish the stock.

Winter's Coming Winter's Coming Winter's Coming

The full wood shed looks good to me. Who knows, maybe this winter will be a better one. I have my fingers crossed.

Reactions: ekg0477
Yup. This is what my garden looked like this morning.
Winter's Coming

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey that is one nifty wood shed! I like it.

Nope. Got a hard freeze last night.

Reactions: Seanm
@Montanalocal yeah us to. My garden is mostly done, but some of it has been ok. My char and carrots are still going good as youd suspect. Its amazing how char lasts through so many frosts, Weve had killer frosts two days in a row, -4c I think. I picked the last of my beans two nights before frost so Im good. I know one family who left the green house door open and all the tomatoes were destroyed, that being said Im looking for a good cold winter this year. Deep snow, thick ice and lots of burning!

Yeps. Even with the temps in the 80's this far into September our two
"early trees" are starting to let go, and the maple (I don't know the species)
with the purple leaves are starting to drop a few in a good breeze.

There's just a hint of color starting in the general area.

The Asplundh guys have been at it hard n' fast this past week and the scroungers
are out in force. Myself included. Took a nap and pulling an all nighter. Got two
full heaping pickups so far and getting one more before napping fer church.
The crews dropped so many trees that I have nothing but choice pieces. No knots
or crotches, just straights. This has been a lucky summer cuz I literally haven't used
the saw yet since starting gathering in April. This stuff is prime, ALL prime. The current
batches are green but this full season is covered and the new stuff is getting broke up
for future winters.

CheapAndGettingAhead

PS. The Fiskars splitter easily walks right thru these clean rounds. Hardly even a chore!
bring on the flakes. No, Not Hillary, the snow. LOLOLOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice setup, that young man over there better learn to like wood, he has atleast 16 more years of dealing with it.

I think we are about a week out from starting to cool off a little in Ohio. Highs in the mid 80s every day this week. Starting next week tentatively we'll drop into the low 70s for highs and lows in the low 50s.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think we are about a week out from starting to cool off a little in Ohio. Highs in the mid 80s every day this week. Starting next week tentatively we'll drop into the low 70s for highs and lows in the low 50s.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Ditto for SEPA. I can't wait any longer. We got a few days of a tease last week. Now it needs to stay cool. Trees coming down tomorrow. Need that cool weather to process. :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CTYank and ekg0477
I like that wood shed! Did you build it yourself? Do you have the plans for it?

I am south of most of you and when I got home this weekend I was surprised to see all the yellow in my Tulip Poplars. They are always to first to turn and let me know cooler weather is on the way.

i woke up this morning and all of the virginia creeper is starting to turn red....

My trees still look green but there's been a pretty consistent layer of new leaves on my driveway each day for the last week or so. But winter sure isn't coming fast enough. It was only about 80 degrees today and I had the urge to split so I tried a few rounds but had to give up because the humidity was still way up there. Looks like I'll have to wait until Sunday to get a break in the weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.