Winter's supply inside now

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I just remembered I had not posted any picture of the wood stacked inside the new barn. So here is one picture but I didn't even bother moving stuff out of the way. Sorry about that.

3cordsstackedinbarn.gif

Looks good Dennis, how much wood do you burn in a normal year heating season?

zap

I just love going outdoors and get my wood! :coolgrin:

3 cords has been the maximum. A little under last year but I still call it 3. I'll try to remember to take a picture next Spring to see how much is left. But I still have some outside that I plan on burning yet.

I'm thinking I'll be going through 2.5 to 3 cords as well. How tall is your front stack in that pic?

Very nice barn & stack of wood!
Looks like it was split vertical, :)
Close that door will ya, Weather mans says a big storm headed your way.

"I didn’t even bother moving stuff out of the way"
Well, Dennis, that's it then. You're fired! :ahhh:
Nice to see the inside of that barn. Looks like it's gonna' start gettin' a little chilly the next couple days, so,...good timing.
I haven't had a fire in 2 days, I think I'm starting to have withdrawals. :coolgrin:

I think that outside stack is around 7' elijah.

Yes Dave, it was all split vertically!

PapaDave, you know this weather can't last very long. Things will be white very soon.

Looks good Dennis, that should make things a little easier if you need to get more wood when it's blizzarding outside.
I know your metal shed is new, but I gota ask you if you have noticed, or ever do notice in the future sometime, condensation inside that metal. I see you have just a dirt floor, and I know even just a metal roof, under the right conditions, will sweat sometimes. I've been thinking of sticking up a shed like that for my work tools and supplies, been leaning towards one of those steel tube and fabric sheds though. ( I hear they sweat too)

I wish I only burned 3 cord a year..... Last year I went through 5 cords, and it was one of the most mellow winters we've had in years. Mind you I was burning a lot of that in my garage/shop, so maybe it's not bad. I think this year I'll keep track of which wood goes in the house, and which gets burned in the shop.
Can I ask how many sq. ft. of house you are heating with that 3 cords?

Carbon, I too am curious on how the condensation might be. We do not plan on heating the shed so that should cut out some. We have overhead doors on both ends plus one walk-in door and 4 windows.

We also debated on putting down cement and I still sort of wish I had but we'll see how this works out and go from there. For a work space I can also lay down a plank floor or even plywood but I have other work areas so probably won't do that. I do wish I had built up the area earlier so it had more time to settle and dry out but so far, so good. We got $5500 into it so I do not think the price was out of line, at least for our area. It was put up in about 8 hours total.

On the windows, I did not put them in evenly because I knew I wanted to store wood in at least one corner and perhaps 2 corners. This way I don't have to stack wood in front of a window.

A little over 1,000 sq. ft.

Backwoods Savage said:
I think that outside stack is around 7' elijah.

Yes Dave, it was all split vertically!

PapaDave, you know this weather can't last very long. Things will be white very soon.

Calling for lake effect snow squalls, thurs. nite.
I broke down this evening, about 1/2 hr. ago, and started a fire.
With all of this rain, the inside of the shop is sweating a little. I kicked on the furnace for a bit to get the damp out.

Hi Dennis, how long ago did you split that wood? It looks surprisingly non gray, you must have kept it out of the rain. I know you are years ahead.

April, 2009

4-4-09e.gif

Wood that is stacked in the barn was from that first row here plus one other cord. 3 cords total.
Wood-2009e.gif

That does happen to be a lamp in the barn! Yes, my wife has promised she will be taking care of it soon, hopefully today.

Carbon_Liberator said:
Looks good Dennis, that should make things a little easier if you need to get more wood when it's blizzarding outside.
I know your metal shed is new, but I gota ask you if you have noticed, or ever do notice in the future sometime, condensation inside that metal. I see you have just a dirt floor, and I know even just a metal roof, under the right conditions, will sweat sometimes. I've been thinking of sticking up a shed like that for my work tools and supplies, been leaning towards one of those steel tube and fabric sheds though. ( I hear they sweat too)

I wish I only burned 3 cord a year..... Last year I went through 5 cords, and it was one of the most mellow winters we've had in years. Mind you I was burning a lot of that in my garage/shop, so maybe it's not bad. I think this year I'll keep track of which wood goes in the house, and which gets burned in the shop.
Can I ask how many sq. ft. of house you are heating with that 3 cords?
Different reasons for the sweating some times, I have a 2 year old pole building that I have not insulated yet or heated in the winter either, the roof is fairly high and have not had one bit of sweating yet in any conditions. I do have a cement floor, the person who sold it to me told me some times the owner of the building does not do the ground work correctly so moisture from the ground makes the building sweat.

3 cords in MI. Thats very Good!

Im jealous of all those perfectly sized squared splits that stack so well! nice work.

Dennis, nice job. I am surprised you are burning wood at a 1 and 1/2 years old, surely you have older stacks. Is it a convenience thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.