Winterwarm large install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulslush

Hearth Supporter
Aug 11, 2007
I am installing a VC Winterwarm large insert with flex connector and block off plate for a customer, he had the chimney cleaned and the chimney sweep told him to have it lined to the top. I believe the chimney is fine but the sweep does not want to deal with cleaning the connector next year. Anyway the customer wants it lined to the top. 12x12 clay liner 5 1/2 damper door. Looking for input I have done Winterwarm small with 6" flex pipe. This is the first time for a large with full liner for me.

Elk??????
MO??????
Firefly, are you saying it's a direct connect?
What does the VC manual say for full length liner size???? isn't it 6" also

This is the flex connector kit that attaches to the outlet on the top of the insert and extends about 4 feet into the chimney. A large
WinterWarm would require an 8" pipe.

that's why I'd wait to hear from Elk or Mo on this one.
But how the Heck are ya gonna get a 8" pipe through a 5 1/2" damper? :shut:

I am thinking that someone makes a oval to round flex connector that could be attached to an 8" flex pipe and be fed down the chimnney from the top ????
Nothing in our catalogs though.

Pretty much any liner supplier will sell you a five foot piece that is oval for four feet and round for one to get you through the damper frame. You use a connector to attach it to the rest of the eight foot round before you poke it down the chimney. You will also need an oval to round appliance connector to connect it to the top of the stove. Olympia, Homesaver/Copperfield, National Chimney etc. all have it.

It ain't cheap, but they have it.

The collar on the WWL is an 8" oval (that is, oval the same cross section as 8"round) but will readily go through a 5.5 inch damper. Problem you're going to have is that it's something like 14x4, which will make the run down the chimney challenging.

I've used the piece here - http://www.hartshearth.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=500 - exactly as you describe. Assemble 25' of liner with this on the end, then stuff it all down the chimney and hope the measurements are close and the tiles aren't off too bad.

Measure the collar on the insert, then talk to ventinox. There was some confusion about whether what I was looking for was labeled as 10"oval or 8"oval.

Good luck, and for the good of the customer give the unit a good going over in advance. It's not uncommon for them to need the equivalent of refitting when they roll in new - bad castings, poor sealing surfaces, etc.

Steve

Thanks for the input, I will be going back for another look and to talk to the cutomer.

Status
Not open for further replies.