1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

wire brush instead of poly brush?

Post in 'The Gear' started by malta wood, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malta wood

malta wood New Member

Loc:
    malta, ny
    hey guys, i got a new dura plus stainless 6" chimney. i have a metal 6" metal chimney brush. now i was told i can't use a metal brush on a stainless chimney only a poly brush. Is this true? do i need to buy a new brush or can i use what i have? any tips would be great.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    Yes use a poly brush it's possible that the metal could poke pin holes in the liner. Just did a little research all sites I was on poly brush is the way to go so the liner doesn't get scratched causing it to deteriorate. This is may 1st season with a liner in my 20 yr. old tile lined chimney I'm going to have the guy that installed it clean it
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Isn't DuraPlus is class A pipe? If so, I would think a metal brush would be fine. But there are a lot of folks here using poly. Ask your local chimney sweeps what they use.

Moved to the gear forum for more appropriate answers.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I asked this question of more than one shop and/or installer. One guy in particular had been installing stoves and chimneys for over 20 years. He stated that those who used wire brushes in SS chimneys would usually have to replace the chimney in less than 20 years. Those who used poly had no problem.

I had a wire brush but for less than $20, I bought the poly.....just in case he is right. If you are buying your first brush, then I would certainly not hesitate to buy poly as that would work in any chimney.
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    For a Class A stainless steel chimney the steel vs. poly brush debate has gone back and forth . . . for what it's worth I figure for the small cost a poly brush is worth purchasing to insure I have a chimney in good shape for a very, very long time . . . and to be honest . . . it seems to do just as well as a wire brush used to do in my old chimney that I used in the camp that I lived in after college.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.