wire grating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thecarver61

Jan 3, 2010
ohio
Hello fellow burners. I have a Vermont Castings stove and a Love-Less vacuum. I want to find a way so that only small ash falls into the clean out pan. The bigger pieces keep falling into the pan and then clogging my vacuum. Have any of you tried this? Will chicken wire melt in my stove? Just wondering.

Yes, chicken wire will burn. Make a screen for the end of your vac out of hardware cloth.

Also be very careful that you do not have a fire in your vac. More than one person has put the vac away to have it start burning from old coals. Sometimes the stove will be cold but the coals are still alive. They are just insulated from everything by the ash covering them.

Thanks for the posts. I'm still looking into wire mesh idea. I found a stainless steel mesh that can withstand 1650 degree heat. Do woodstoves get that hot?

Should be ok under the ash. Maybe 1/4" mesh? Try it, let us know how it works.

am interested to see how it works for you. the ash and dust are worth having the stove, but it would be nice to make the clean out process a clean process too. will be watching for your next post.

robert from georgia

Status
Not open for further replies.