wireless thermostat for Avalon Astoria

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quickrch

Mar 28, 2009
Northern, VA
Hi everyone, I don't know much about thermostats but I would like to get one for my Astoria for the shoulder months. I have found it difficult to keep the house at an even temp down in VA in the Fall and Spring with cool nights and warm days and last season wasted some pellets with the house in the 70's (mid to upper 70's $$$$->window->$$$$).

I know where I'd like to put it and it'll have to be wireless because the basement under is finished and I'd either have to fish a line accross joists (read nightmare) or go 50' around to travel about 18-20' away. It doesn't have to be programmable. The astoria is either on or off and came with a thermostat I didn't hook up because of the wiring issues.

Also, I am guessing that the system would have to have a piece that I wire to the stove and then the one I mount to the wall?

Can anyone give me some suggestions (make and model) and maybe a place to buy? I'd really appreciate it.

We have a LOPI Pioneer (the little brother/sister to your stove).

We put a SkyTech 3301 on it when we installed the stove, the SkyTech works great on it.

I got mine on eBay, with free shipping for about $95.00 (3 years ago), the local stove shop wanted $189.00 for the same model.

Here is a link to one listed on there at this time for $105.00 with free shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Skytech-On-Off-...309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb685758d

I'm not sure how the thermo connections are on the Astoria but I just installed a Honeywell FocusPro 6000. It is a wireless programmable thermostat. It does require 24v to power the remote box. Your stove may or may not put out 24v. Mine does not but it is easily fixable with a 24v transmitter for a home security system ($8).

top one is my pellet thermo

634d08c9.jpg

remote box that connects to the stove.

6df702aa.jpg

Hello

I have a wired millivolt Honeywell Thermostat near to our Avalon Astoria pellet stove. In the shoulder seasons I just use it like a timer and have the stove come on at 2 or 3 AM and off at 10:00 or 11:00 AM. This way there is no stress on the ignitor and I still save money!

The Astoria does not support the 24v. The thermostat that comes with the Astoria is not very good. They always recommend a thermometer with a swing temp setting that is made for the slow startup and shutdown of a pellet burner like the wireless Skytech.

Any millivolt thermostat will work. However since Pellet Stoves take time to turn off and then turn back on, unlike gas and oil appliances, it is recommended to get a thermostat with a “Swing Temp†setting like a Skytech

Info from Skytech Manual Page 5 >> http://tinyurl.com/2wcu4ho
The thermo-transmitter operates the fireplace system whenever the
ROOM TEMPERATURE varies a certain number of degrees from the
SET TEMPERATURE. This variation is called the �SWING� or
TEMPERATURE DIFFERENTIAL. The normal operating cycle of a
fireplace system may be 2-4 times per hour depending on how well
the room or home is insulated from the cold or drafts. A smaller
�swing number� increases the number of cycles so the room
temperature is more constant. A larger �swing number� decreases the
number of cycles, which saves energy, in most cases. The factory
setting for the �swing number� is 2. This represents a temperature
variation of +/- 2 0 F (1 0C ) between SET temperature and ROOM
temperature which determines when the fireplace will be activate. The
�SWING� number values are:
1= +/- 1 0 F (.5 0C ), 2= +/- 2 0 F (1 0C ), 3 = +/-3 0 F (1.6 0C ).

MANUAL CHECK OF �SWING� OR TEMPERATURE DIFFERENTIAL
The operation of the factory set �THERMO SWING� can be checked by adjusting the SET TEMP 2 0 F above or below the room temperature.
This will cause the system to turn ON or OFF. Normally the system will only respond to temperature changes every two minutes. Manually
changing the SET temperature will activate the system in less than 10 seconds. If the �SWING� is changed, then a new room temperature
differential will respond. Factory setting of SWING temperature is 2 0 F.
OPERATIONAL NOTE: TO CONSERVE BATTERY POWER, CHANGES IN TEMPERATURE ARE ONLY RECORDED EVERY TWO
MINUTES. Additionally, to prevent repeated thermo-cycling of the gas appliance, the sensing unit in the transmitter will only activate the
remote receiver when the temperature change exceeds 2 0 F (1 0C ) above or below the SET (desired) temperature. However, if the
�SWING� setting has been changed from the factory setting (2 0 F /10C ), then thermo-cycling will activate at the new setting of the �SWING�
number.
MANUAL CHECK OF THERMO OPERATION
The operation of the Thermo setting can be checked on demand by adjusting the SET temperature 2 0 F above or below the room
temperature, which will cause the system to turn ON or OFF, respectively. Normally, however, the system will only respond to temperature
changes every two minutes. NOTE: if �SWING� number has been changed, then activation will occur at the new �SWING� setting.
When the gas fireplace system is activated, a FLAME icon will display on the LCD screen indicating a signal has been sent from the
transmitter.
OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS

Below is my wired Honeywell "Timer" LOL

Attachments

• PS2PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 110SC.jpg
    PS2PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 110SC.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 437
I don't use a wireless thermostat for my stove but my brother does have one. He uses a Honeywell wireless and it has all the bells and whistles which is probably why it cost so much. I think you have the right idea and should just go with a plain wireless thermostat. My brother and I are spending about the same amount to heat the amount space but he spent a few hundred more on his system.

My honeywell setup was around $120. I found both pieces on eBay.

Also, most digital thermostats have a setting called "cycles per hour". This is basically the same as temperature swing. The lower you set the number the larger the swing.

thanks everyone. I'll look at these when I get home and make a decision. This is very helpful. Especially that 24v tidbit. I wasn't sure what that was when I was reading some of the specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.