wireless thermostat...for my furnace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cac4

Jul 11, 2008
Essex County, MA
All of the wireless thermostat discussions seem to be IRT regulating our pellet stoves. I'm wondering if I can use one of these for my furnace. I have forced hot air, and only 1 zone for the whole house. The thermostat is on the first floor...where I'll be installing my pellet stove. I expect that my pellet stove will provide enough heat for the whole house, but i won't actually know that until I try. Maybe it'll be too cold upstairs in the coldest weather. Might work out that in order to keep the upstairs comfortable, the downstairs will be uncomfortably hot. We'll just have to wait and see...

In the meantime, I'm (over)thinking that I could supplement the upstairs with the oil furnace. I could close off all the dampers to the downstairs registers, so the warm air only goes upstairs. The problem for now, is that its regulated by a downstairs thermostat. It would be really difficult to run the thermostat wires to an upstairs location. So I guess I'm asking: would these wireless devices allow me to easily move the furnaces thermostat upstairs? Is this system like a wireless "switch" that would attach to the wires at my existing thermostat, and be controlled by a movable device that I could put on my night stand?

It is not hard to move your wall thermostat to another room, or even upstairs.

The hardest part of the job is routing the wire so that it is not seen, that is to say .if you have a nice house & want to keep it looking good.

For myself,if I wanted to move my tstat, I would just splice on the extra length of wire & run it along the baseboards or run a new wire from the tstat terminals on the oil burner control box in the basement to the new location, as that would be the better looking job.

either way,not more that 1 & 1/2 hour work, including a 1/2 hr coffee break!

I dont think I have ever seen a wireless tstat but if the have one, go for it.

Be careful in buying a wireless Tstat--Make sure it has the range to go from the upstairs location to the basement oil burner contol box. I think I read last year about a sonic remote Tstat on a pellet stove but that it only worked in the room the pellet stove was in ,in the line of sight only, and only for 20 feet. That would not be suitable for what you want so make sure you explain your intended use to the salesman & make sure his item is suitable for your use.

I would brobably be inclined to rewire from the oil burner terminals to the new Tstat location.
You could use your existing tstat over again in the new location & need only buy the extra length of wire.

But if you can find a suitable wireless tstat, the ease of install might justify the price.

eernest4 said:
It is not hard to move your wall thermostat to another room, or even upstairs.

sez you. ;-) I find it to be a royal pain in the caboose. up 2 stories from the basement (through what?), into the attic, across the attic (protected by what?) to the exact location of an interior partition wall, which is located under the flooring in the attic, and is exactly...where?...then fish down into the wall, etc, etc....no thanks.

which is why I asked the question....

Status
Not open for further replies.