1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wishing I was burning

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Highbeam, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Never before have a I missed burning so much. I am plenty warm, hot even, with no fire going. I have lots of wood to burn, several years worth in the stacks from a large tree cutting project last summer. We burned heavily over the weekend in the firepit but it isn't enough. I want to burn in the stove.

We burned on the solstice, June 21st to bring the house temp up from the mid 60s to upper 70s.

So many members are tired of burning and welcome the summer but this year, I'm not wanting to stop. Maybe since it was my first year with the blaze king that I had less work to do for burning but maybe not.

Oh well. We had heavy rain and lighting last night. It was mid 60s outside at 10pm and raining hard.
    ScotO and n3pro like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. alforit

alforit Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Washington
    You must be contagious... I feel the same way ....And to add to that I wish I was burning the new Blaze King Ashford 30
  3. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Yah, same here. I burned yesterday to take the morning chill off the house. I may burn today to do the same (though it is 65 inside today, it was 60 yesterday). I have more scrap lumber to burn from remodeling here. Supposed to warm up later in the week, and maybe the rains will taper off finally? They predicted a dry early fire season this year in the PNW in early May, and that turned out to be bunk. Its been raining pretty much every day after they made that summer weather prediction.

Alaska has been warmer than we have the last month or so, so you cannot move there to burn longer. This is about it for longest burn areas in the states.
  4. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Patience, it will come. Tick, tock. Tick, tock.
  5. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    I anticipate starting a fire in the stove almost exactly 3 months from today.:cool:
  6. Rickb

Rickb Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    St.Louis
    I got my stove installed 1 week after it warmed up...............

I even ordered some long burning candles to put in it so at least there is fire in it...
    ScotO, firebroad, n3pro and 2 others like this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Sue has it right. Have patience. About 3 months from now we'll be burning. Doesn't bother me at all to be waiting either.
    ScotO likes this.
  8. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    The fire pit satisfies the fire bug in me , now if I could just find a cheaper way to cool the house, when it hits 90, I gotta turn on the air
    Oldhippie, fox9988 and ScotO like this.
  9. Trilifter7

Trilifter7 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Beavercreek Ohio
    3 months will go by faster than we think! That just gave me a big smile!! :cool:
    ScotO likes this.
  10. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Enola, PA (near Harrisburg the unknown Capitol.
    Yeah, we were visiting some friends a week and a half ago in Vermont. Two days was in the mid 60's, smelled lots of wood burners, and saw quite a few. Had me wishing I was. Came home a few days later to 85 degrees. Went to a wood fire pizza place up there, made me depressed to come home. I WANT! [​IMG] Since for some reason I can't embed the image, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...219868.-2207520000.1372124333.&type=3&theater
    ScotO and firebroad like this.
  11. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Between solar gain, lighting, cooking, etc. our house is keeping at 69-72F without supplement. We open it up during the day and close it up at night. I haven't been too tempted to burn when it's this comfortable.
  12. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Well, the nice cool damp weather we have been having in the PNW is about to change to hot and dry weather by the weekend. Should be in the high 80s this time next week.
  13. pyroholic

pyroholic Member

Loc:
    Mid-Michigan
    All the technology out there coupled with the extreme inventive nature of our people here...and we still can't figure out how to cool our homes with a wood fire. SMH
    DevilsBrew, ScotO and Seanm like this.
  14. 410MAN

410MAN Member

Loc:
    East Texas
    How ya'll doing? I down here in North East Texas, Im trying find BIGGER air conditioner to COOL my house ,we have plenty wood but it not work in the AC unit.
  15. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    412MAN, for sure you always get the heat down there. Please keep it down there! Felt much better today as it cooled off a lot but now is very muggy. Turned the air conditioner off last night before hitting the sack and enjoyed laying there with the windows open. Haven't turned them back on yet either and that suits me just fine.
  16. Seanm

Seanm Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE BC Canadian Rockies
    We didn't get much past 13 c all day yesterday so I lit a little fire. Didn't take long for the house to go to 25c which is to hot for me. We have 27c coming up in the next few days so I think that will be it for me. At least all the flooding is going down! I know what youre getting at though, most days recently my stove sits in the corner all dark and cold and the rec room just isn't the same......
  17. DianeB

DianeB Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Foot Hills of the Berkshires
    Some one already mentioned it, but build or buy yourself a fire pit to take care of that itch. Get rid of all that wood you were having trouble with anyway fitting into your stove. We have a lot of spring clean up debris to burn and plan to do it on cooler nights when the sun goes down.
    DevilsBrew and ScotO like this.
  18. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Oh, I've been burning outside but it doesn't satisfy the heating urge. My pile of uglies is nearly gone now.
  19. pyroholic

pyroholic Member

Loc:
    Mid-Michigan
    I find myself burning outside all year quite often. Nothing like a fire while splitting in the winter. So, I guess I'm saying that even when burning outside in summer I'm still missing out on some burning. Going through withdrawals;hm
    ScotO likes this.
  20. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    I can wait...I enjoy the other seasons almost as much as the burn season. It's (the burn season) not even winter really, since it encompasses some of the fall and spring with it.
    But today was a good day, even though it was very humid and in the low 80's. I was able to buck some 4' lengths I had stored n the driveway since march. I always seem to have the "burning" switch on even if it's July 1.
  21. Oldhippie

Oldhippie Minister of Fire

I'm totally okay with waiting till late October and beyond to start the burning. Once it starts it doesn't stop till end of March or sometime in April.

That's plenty for me! Plus I've got some CSS work to do.
  22. BrianN

BrianN Member

Loc:
    Central BC
    I can't wait until burn season. Real, full, all day burn season. Not the small fire in the morning to "take the chill off" season :)
    This will be our first winter in this house with the BK, and can't wait to see what it will do. I am sure it will perform nicely, but, I want to see it.
    I was CSS'ing this past weekend and came across some rounds infested with ants. So, I did the logical thing. Built a huge fire in the back yard and got rid of a few rounds. Oh, how I love fires. Even when it is 28::C. But, a few cold ones after the work is done and sitting watching a fire burn is still great therapy.
    alforit and Trilifter7 like this.
  23. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Reminds me of a true story. I have a friend, very straight laced Christian lady. They burn outside a lot, mostly rubbish, they are way out in the sticks of Tyrone Township PA. One of her favorite pleasures is tending the fire.
    One Sunday at church, the minister was giving a sermon about how people fall into temptation and take chances with their souls and such, and he began with the warning statement, "Who likes to play with fire?" To which my friend gently raised her hand and said gleefully, "Oh! I do!" Boy, was she embarrassed!
    dafattkidd likes this.
  24. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Ooops moment.
  25. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    if i remember right the fridge in a motorhome or travel trailer that runs on propane work well. why not build a large version for the house that runs on wood and attach ducts from there !!!