Wittus TwinFire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mada

Jan 3, 2011
Northeast
Can the average household, average income even come close to justifying the expense? Even over a 20 year period, will you break even on the savings or off-set enough of a gas heat bill? The Thing is so beautiful, I'd need a pretty serious justification in order to lay out the cake. The wittus twinfire can't be any less than 7500 installed.

When it's done, am I an ass for putting in a $7500 metal box that burns wood?

I don't know your setup - but $7500 sounds a little steep.

And I think I can speak for a majority of the posters on here when I say we don't do it just for the money savings, or not do it because of the expense. Burning wood gets in your blood (and warms it nicely). Once you go wood, you never go back - or you won't enjoy it as much anyway if you do.

Good luck in your decision!

Only you can decide whether it has high value for you. My SIL has a nice BMW. There is no economic justification for this. In spite of increased debt to drive/lease the car she enjoys it. Such are life choices. It you like it, and it enhances your aesthetic appreciation, then it may be just right for you. Some folks put in nice Tulikivi or masonry heater systems at twice this budget,

mada, one thing to keep in mind is that the Twinfire is designed to burn pretty small batches of wood at a time. Make sure that suits your needs. This, from the owners manual, sums it up:

"ALSO NEVER ADD MORE THAN 3-4 POUNDS (1.5-2 KG) OF WOOD (ABOUT 1-2 LOGS). OTHERWISE THE STOVE COULD GET OVERHEATED, WHICH CAN CAUSE IRREPARABLE DAMAGE. THIS KIND OF DAMAGE IS NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY."

Four pounds of wood would be two pieces about 3" diameter and 15" long.

I was reading about this stove in the newest hearth and home. I have a question. How does a wood stove get 93% efficiency and still draft? You must need a perfect chimney for that to work correctly. Or I am missing something here?

I'd think you wouldn't want to use it with a masonry-lined chimney, but here's what the manual says:

"It must be installed using a Class A UL 103 HT approved factory-built chimney system or a code-approved masonry chimney with a flue liner."

"The condition of the chimney and height is very important. We suggest a total minimum height of 10’ (3 m)."

"To reach the rated heat capacity, the minimum delivery pressure of the chimney must be 10 to 15 Pa (1.0 to 1.5 mm WC)."

That pressure is in the same range as others I've seen. Ten feet seems a bit low to achieve it, though.

I imagine the efficiency comes from the small firebox and then the re-burn chaimber below. Startup is the dirtiest time your stove burns. When it is hot and the gasses are being burnt the stove burns clean. This stove should get to temp within minutes.

Matt

Actually, it comes from the large and long (nearly 4 feet) heat exchanger path from the secondary chamber outlet to the chimney connection. Combustion efficiency (as measured by emissions) is about the same as other good non-cats - 2.4 gm/hr (my Quad is 2.1).

For the price I would try to go for a masonry heater. But to each his/her own.

I would imagine you'd be tending to it often if it can only take a bit of wood at a time. I think it's beautiful though - I wonder if they designed it first and then realized it could only hold a bit of wood, or if they did that intentionally from the start.

mada said:
Can the average household, average income even come close to justifying the expense? Even over a 20 year period, will you break even on the savings or off-set enough of a gas heat bill? The Thing is so beautiful, I'd need a pretty serious justification in order to lay out the cake. The wittus twinfire can't be any less than 7500 installed.

When it's done, am I an ass for putting in a $7500 metal box that burns wood?

Well if you amoritize the cost of the stove (s) over 20 years, that's $375 a year. Can you actually heat with it? it looks like it will need a bit of constant feeding. What will you have to pay for your wood (w)?

If w$ + s$ = < than whatever you $$ for heat now, then yes it will "pay for itself" and is therefore a justifiable finance.

But there are intrinsic values to the wood heat lifestyle that also should be considered. Looks, exercise, self reliance, romance, etc.

EDIT:

Also, welcome to the forum.

AND:

It is very rare that in only 4 days and six posts, we can tell if you are an a$$.. it has happened, but usually takes longer.. ;-P

mada said:
I would imagine you'd be tending to it often if it can only take a bit of wood at a time.
Yes, once every 60-90 minutes if you want to maintain an output in the 20k btu/hr range. Also remember, it's a 475 lb stove. It takes a while to heat up that much mass. Most of the first load is not burned in Twinfire mode, it goes to heating up the firebox.

I think it's beautiful though
I totally agree - it's the most intriguing new stove to come around in a long time - aesthetically, technically, functionally attractive.

I wonder if they designed it first and then realized it could only hold a bit of wood, or if they did that intentionally from the start.

For a European design, it's actually pretty normal. It's conceived as a "zone" heater and only operated when the zone is being occupied by humans. Their approach to meeting emissions standards has leaned more to burn smaller batches of wood at higher burn rates, often a single split at a time. Look at the recent stoves coming out of the Euro zone and that's what you'll see. My Nestor Martin is similar, and requires reloading every 90-100 minutes. Since it heats my work space, that's just fine with me.

I like the Euro concept. And I think you'll see it grow in the US, as we make our homes more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.