Wohoo!! Biomass up and Momma's Happy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tennman

Minister of Fire
Mar 4, 2009
Southern Tenn
First I want to give a huge shout out to all you Hearth guys. Don't know how I would have done this project without the info, research, and contacts here. I am SO pleased with my choice of the Biomass. I was committed to buying an EKO but seeing the design of the Biomass I decided to take a chance with a newer design with a much smaller customer base. Just as a review, our house is a 150 yr old, drafty, 4800 sqft that was costing me a fortune to keep at 62F with propane. We have all the wood on the property I'll need for the rest of my life (health not supply limited). After several days of debugging and underfeeding the boiler I saw it idling and auto cycling between the set point deadband for the first time Thanksgiving day!! Took some guests out to show off the project and there it was blower off with the water temp between the 176-184F range. Water heading to the house was at about 175F out of the boiler and arriving at the heat exchanger inlet at about 170F after travelling about 170-180ft in my "homemade" insulated 1 1/4" PEX. I agonized over buying the factory made foam filled lines but took a chance to save almost 2K and it seems to be working quite well. Will be posting and researching about my creosote problem since I'm idling a lot with cold nites and 60F days. Since all my spare time has been focused on building and installing the system I'm behind the curve for having properly dried fuel for this season.

How do you guys with gassers run without a window in your lower chamber.... I look at that probably 20 times a day to gage the health of the fire. I get a puff of smoke sometimes but the draft fan and the upper chamber design eliminates most of the smoke during refueling. That was the first thing I noticed about the EKO that the ceiling of the upper chamber was flush with the door opening. I'm not knocking the EKO but I'll bet anything there is an EKO design update right around the corner. Very happy guy here and now I'll start separate posts not with design questions but operational ones. At the moment concerned about the black goo accumulating on the inside of the upper chamber. Blessings on you all!

Congrats!! It's a nice feeling to finally have your unit convince you that the right choice was made!!

I wish I had that "window" to see the flame...but then again, I probably already spend too much time with trips to the boiler just to see how she's doing!

..............and, where are the pics!!??

Eventually you will get to the point that you take GREAT satisfaction at simply starting a fire, watch the temps rise, and walk away....

I find myself only tooling around with my EKO during summer months now.

And I have to agree with the above poster. Without copious photos being shared we must assume the install never happened.....

Glad to here you got her up and running!!!!! as for the black goo it is from idling and not so great seasoned wood. When you get storage ans seasoned wood that will burn right off.

Rob

Ok, ok..... I'll do the pics thing. There's probably a thread or stickie to tell me how. So for the moment don't worry about the goo? I've got my eyes out for a 1000 gal propane tank for storage. In addition to using foam sleeves for the underground I used some of that DIY Tiger Foam spray stuff in the project. Worked great! Think I'll spray the storage tank myself once I find one. Thanks for your help Rob (Taxi). Pics coming. I'll include a pic of the Boiler "shed" that got out of control.

So I shouldn't try to keep a coal bed? Is that what you guys are suggesting? I'm more motivated than ever to find a tank. Everything is plumbed with that expectation.

Tennman said:
Ok, ok..... I'll do the pics thing. There's probably a thread or stickie to tell me how. So for the moment don't worry about the goo? I've got my eyes out for a 1000 gal propane tank for storage. In addition to using foam sleeves for the underground I used some of that DIY Tiger Foam spray stuff in the project. Worked great! Think I'll spray the storage tank myself once I find one. Thanks for your help Rob (Taxi). Pics coming. I'll include a pic of the Boiler "shed" that got out of control.

So I shouldn't try to keep a coal bed? Is that what you guys are suggesting? I'm more motivated than ever to find a tank. Everything is plumbed with that expectation.

You want to try to keep the idling to a minimum, as that's what makes you get buildup... It's more work, but the simplest approach to minimize idling is to load smaller amounts of wood more often...

Gooserider

Thanks GR. BTW does your handle mean you are a Moto Guzzi rider? Yes we are trying to do smaller more frequent loads. Sometimes hard depending on who's at the house. Just looking to get thru this season with my so-so cured fuel until next year when I have dry wood and storage. Appreciate the inputs.

Tennman said:
Thanks GR. BTW does your handle mean you are a Moto Guzzi rider? Yes we are trying to do smaller more frequent loads. Sometimes hard depending on who's at the house. Just looking to get thru this season with my so-so cured fuel until next year when I have dry wood and storage. Appreciate the inputs.

Yes, I'm a Guzzi person... Two Cal II's w/ sidecars, leading link forks, etc...

Gooserider

The little glass eye on the Tarm is a bit of a joke, it soots up pretty quickly. I just open the bottom door for a view. It doesn't cause any problems as long as we're into gasification. It will smoke a little if I open it too early.

Nope, no problem with sooting up. widows about 1.5" dia. I've been toying with the idea of borrowing an IR temp gun to look in the window to get a temp reading. Never used one thru glass. But I can see immediately if I have a bridging problem or if getting good fire in both nozzles. I also can judge the quality of what's going on from the flame color. I think blueish is better than orange.... I should know that. It definitely looks like the picture above in the Econoburn ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.