Wolf spider carrying her babies on he back

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sean in the woods

Burning Hunk
Sep 2, 2020
UP, Michigan, USA
I noticed a large spider skittering across my driveway the other day. It looked unusually “fuzzy” like its abdomen was covered in ragged fur. So I stalked it until I was able to get some good photos of it.
Turns out it is a wolf spider and the fuzzy stuff are its babies that she is carrying around till they can fend for themselves.

05CD3EDE-685A-4398-9B28-C9BDE21CFD68.jpeg 4B8BEF30-5FCF-4EE6-AB0A-617150E9ECA0.jpeg D8036AE9-DCC3-4C31-8B8B-EF709EFB8CE3.jpeg 32B3991A-BCE3-4515-A37F-3AD31B853FD3.jpeg

Nature is amazing and it looks like she is real productive. I bet the male left town with all those babies--lol thanks..clancey

There's a "nope, nope, nope" thread on a car site I am on. This would fit in there.

I had a garbage can full of kindling in the garage 25 years ago. Saw all these little things crawling. Tiny little praying mantises. Really neat to look at.

Last edited:
Great pictures! I admit that I might shriek a little when I pick up a piece of wood and one of those jumps up and stares me down. I try to make sure we always part ways quickly, but as friends.

Reactions: vinny11950
Garden spiders babies can remain dormant through our cold winters and hatch in the spring. Very odd seeing a nest ball of 100s of ultra tiny spiders, in December, well below freezing, yet partially mobile. The mother garden spider dies right after laying, so far different than a wolf spider.
Stag beetles grubs inside frozen logs is another odd sight - frozen solid, hard as a marble, yet if thawed they crawl away.