Cut down a 90 foot tall locust tree today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love locust for winter heating. We split up rounds last August and I plan on burning it this December if it's ready. It seems to dry quicker as compared to some other hardwoods. The wood is already getting nicely checked on the end grain and this is during the wet time of the year. Am I being too optimistic?
View attachment 132332
My first season with the insert I burned locust exclusively. It was 18 mo CSS. Probably could have used a bit more time in the racks but I had stacked on pallets w/o adequate airflow and on the big side. I like your chances better since you wouldn't be making my rookie mistakes and even better if you are mixing in w/ other species. I find even well seasoned locust is better with other stuff in the mix.

Am I being too optimistic?View attachment 132332

Based on my (quite) limited experience, I'd say that's pushing the envelope a bit unless you split small. IMO it dries slowly but comes with a natural head start. The USDA says average MC for freshly cut black locust is only 41%. Think of it this way: the live black locust you CSS today is similar to the oak you CSS'd a year ago, and the two will continue to dry at similar pace.

Last edited:
I've found 2 years is minimum where I live. I was going to burn some year old splits a few years ago but when I checked it in October before the season it was still around 26 to 30%. I don't think it has a high moisture content it's just so dense it takes a lot of time for the moisture to pass through.

My first season with the insert I burned locust exclusively. It was 18 mo CSS. Probably could have used a bit more time in the racks but I had stacked on pallets w/o adequate airflow and on the big side. I like your chances better since you wouldn't be making my rookie mistakes and even better if you are mixing in w/ other species. I find even well seasoned locust is better with other stuff in the mix.
We are fortunate to have dry, low humidity summers. They help dry wood pretty quickly. However, we have broken several rainfall records in the past 6 months so who knows what it will be like this summer. I think I will hold off on the locust and will use the drier wood. The problem is that it's stacked in the back of the shed. I hate moving wood thrice, but it may require moving the dry wood out first. I think I'll just leave the newer locust outside under cover until the old wood is used up.

We are fortunate to have dry, low humidity summers....it may require moving the dry wood out first. I think I'll just leave the newer locust outside under cover until the old wood is used up.
I've got a few cords of BL that's been stacked about a year now, so it'll have about 18 mo. by next season, and I expect it'll be good to go. It's mostly stuff that was already dead; I assume other posters were talking about live wood. BG, can you just leave the Locust in the shed, burn enough of the dry to get back to it and maybe the Locust will be good? Or do you need the shed space to keep guaranteed dry wood stacked for winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.