1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wondering why my landscape trailer tire sprung a leak...

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by mcote, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcote

mcote New Member

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    I have a 6.5'x12' tilt landscape trailer that I use for dump runs but mostly hauling firewood. I think it is rated for around 3k lbs. Anyway, went to the dump Saturday morning and saw a sign for free fill, we load, you haul. Me having an empty trailer thought, sounds good. I was thinking if I have a couple of scoops put on, should be fine and around 3k lbs. When the guy dumped the second bucket full onto the trailer, one tire went very low. I pumped it up and drove home - very slowly. I started shoveling this stuff off and realized why my vehicle was working much harder than normal, this stuff is super heavy. Wet, dense, clay-like. So I looked up the weight/cubic foot and for the load I figure I had. 6500-9000 lbs!! It is a wonder nothing more than a flat tire! I had no idea, but will be much more cautious in the future! Also the tires I had on were only 1 and 2 ply!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I'm surprised the guy loaded it for you. He should have noticed your trailer was not quite built for two scoops! Your fortunate you didn't do any real damage. Tires are easy....
  3. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    You have to figure a 1 yard bucket is going to be around a ton. Add a bit for sopping wet clay...not sure what size buckets those were...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.