Wood bin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsruther

Minister of Fire
Oct 28, 2008
Northern Kentucky
Ever since I started heating the house with wood I've been fighting a battle with the trail of crumbs left behind, either when I'm bringing it into the house or loading the stove. Last year I made a cart that had plywood on the bottom and ends, but not the sides. It helped to contain the crumbs, but a lot was still hitting the floor.

This year, I decided that the only way to contain the crumbs was to fully enclose the firewood. I dismantled my old cart, made a simple plywood box and fastened it to the old cart frame.
Now, nothing falls on the floor. The box rolls right up to the front of the stove and any crumbs that drop hit the hearth. I can root through the box and choose whichever splits I want without a pile of crap left on the floor. Then I roll it over to the corner where it waits for the next stove load. It ain't pretty, but it's the best method I've had so far.
Asked the wife what she thought of it's looks, she said eh. For next year, I'll probably make one that's more aesthetically pleasing.
004.JPG

I have some left over red oak hardwood flooring remnants from my home floors. I have been thinking about something like what you guys have made.

I think the key is yours rolls into position after its full. I built a little bin but i have to carry the wood to it so im dropping crumbs like Hansel & Gretal the whole way. Hmmm, If i put wheels on it i could roll it over to the basement door or the back door and fill it while keeping the mess out of the den. You just gave me an excellent idea.

I'm thinking of just getting a small iron log rack and keeping the hoover nearby. Good thread though, be interesting to see if anyone else has some good invention/method of keeping the mess down.

Finished Stove 016.JPG Nice idea you have there. This is what I did when building my hearth to keep the mess contained. A small dust pan and hand brush gets the majority between fills and a baby shop vac gets the rest.

I'm thinking of just getting a small iron log rack and keeping the hoover nearby. Good thread though, be interesting to see if anyone else has some good invention/method of keeping the mess down.
The worst part of getting the vacuum cleaner out is unwinding and rewinding the cord (yeah, I'm lazy that way) and I don't want to clean the filter on it any more than I have to either. I did get a lithium powered dust buster recently and it's been working out great. Keep it charging behind a chair in the stove room and grab it when I need it.

I figure that the more I can do to make burning wood convenient, the less chance I'll suffer from wood stove burnout come next March.

Reactions: Shane Collins
The worst part of getting the vacuum cleaner out is unwinding and rewinding the cord (yeah, I'm lazy that way) and I don't want to clean the filter on it any more than I have to either. I did get a lithium powered dust buster recently and it's been working out great. Keep it charging behind a chair in the stove room and grab it when I need it.

I figure that the more I can do to make burning wood convenient, the less chance I'll suffer from wood stove burnout come next March.

That's a good idea. It is a pain leaving the hoover nearby. Which dust buster did you get? anything special? or just something cheap to do the job?

Agreed on the vac being a pain. That's why I bought a tiny one gallon job and it sits behind a stool and remains plugged in all season. I used to suck everything up but the little sucker filled up to quick - hence, the dust pan and hand brush picking up the majority and the vac used only to get the dust.

Agreed on the vac being a pain. That's why I bought a tiny one gallon job and it sits behind a stool and remains plugged in all season. I used to suck everything up but the little sucker filled up to quick - hence, the dust pan and hand brush picking up the majority and the vac used only to get the dust.
It's surprising how much debris falls off the wood, but once you find a good method of keeping it contained, the job of burning becomes much less of a task.
My old hearth was such that I could stack my wood on it, but the bricks were very rough and dimensional. Every time I would try to sweep up the debris, dust clouds would erupt. One of the reasons that hearth is no longer here. The other reason was it was just plain ugly.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 176
Ever since I started heating the house with wood I've been fighting a battle with the trail of crumbs left behind, either when I'm bringing it into the house or loading the stove. Last year I made a cart that had plywood on the bottom and ends, but not the sides. It helped to contain the crumbs, but a lot was still hitting the floor.

This year, I decided that the only way to contain the crumbs was to fully enclose the firewood. I dismantled my old cart, made a simple plywood box and fastened it to the old cart frame.
Now, nothing falls on the floor. The box rolls right up to the front of the stove and any crumbs that drop hit the hearth. I can root through the box and choose whichever splits I want without a pile of crap left on the floor. Then I roll it over to the corner where it waits for the next stove load. It ain't pretty, but it's the best method I've had so far.
Asked the wife what she thought of it's looks, she said eh. For next year, I'll probably make one that's more aesthetically pleasing.
View attachment 145516
Funny
I made this modern open wood rack & don't really have any problems with wood crumbs or droppings. I just handle it carefully & if there's is any crumbs I just use my dustpan or cordless vacuum. 20141127_145409.jpg

It's surprising how much debris falls off the wood, but once you find a good method of keeping it contained, the job of burning becomes much less of a task.
My old hearth was such that I could stack my wood on it, but the bricks were very rough and dimensional. Every time I would try to sweep up the debris, dust clouds would erupt. One of the reasons that hearth is no longer here. The other reason was it was just plain ugly.

Great view through the window there!

Status
Not open for further replies.