1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

wood boiler add on ?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by stevenupstateny, Nov 6, 2013.

1. stevenupstateny

stevenupstateny New Member

Nov 6, 2013
    jordanville ny
    in need of some help if I may ?? I have an old 1780's home in NY . The oil boiler is a PV83wt burnem ,with a loop of 1"1/4 around the basement with smaller copper t off of that ,in and out . they go to the radiators through out the house . Now I just added a wood boiler thermo- control 550 . We just piped into the loop . Is that right or do I need to have a storage tank ?? the current system has an expansion tank and taco pump . I can give you more details if needed but I need to start some were for I am getting no were right now as in 70 degree water serc through the house at max please help ..

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Western Mass.
    The science of hydronics is quite complicated, and explaining it all in a post is going to be very difficult. It sounds like you have a one pipe system - this is quite normal.

But as far as the control and how you pipe the wood boiler in, there are lots of variables.

First thing - can you point us to the specs on that boiler? I don't see that exact model number on the thermo-control site.