Wood boiler for N.Michigan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to the forum. But I found it while searching for a good, economical wood boiler. I finally got the wife to start thinking about wood boilers because of our most recent gas bill. Here's the set up that I've got : 840 sq. ft. attached garage 1248 sq. ft. house with a full basement. I've currently got a natural gas fired, forced air furnace and a natural gas water heater. I looked into the Greenwoods and I really like them but the price I got of aprox. $8500.00 is just WAY more than I can afford. Especially right now. So I'm wondering if anybody can give me some names of some good reputable alternatives to the Greenwood wood boilers? Because when I Googled wood boilers there are just so many that come up I don't know which ones will be good for my application or just complete junk. Any info you could throw me is appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

You should put a call in to your local heating expert, Cozy Heat. They are great. I'll bet they can give you all kinds of insight into what the money you spend will buy you....

Take the short drive over to Indian River and see Dave at Cozy Heat. (See ad on this forum) He will show you some of the many models of gasifying and traditional wood boilers and everything else required to hook them into your current system. Before I purchased I visited him and he spent a lot of time with me and answered all of my questions.
If looking for a gasifier, I like Orlan's EKO line both for price and operation. Tarm units are very nice as well.

FYI, I paid $6350 for the EKO 25 boiler alone. Additional equipment to set up my boiler with a forced air furnace and sidearm for domestic hot water has run about $3500, including 120 feet of underground line. This is before labour and paying the contractor to excavate and fill the trench for the lines.
I am doing the entire install myself, including a new efficient air handler with electric backup heat (no gas where I live) and A/C, all new cold air return plenum and ducts in the attic and new, bigger supply plenum with additional ducts to the larger rooms in the house.
To do all this work with a new propane furnace I was quoted $22,000 by three local heating contractors. I am hoping to be under $15,000 total for my install, with the advantage of significantly reducing my dependence on fossil fuels and their associated costs.

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search!

Medman

Yes call Dave he will take all the time you need to tell you what you need to get started I bought my EKO 60 from him.

Rob

Where are you located ?

Status
Not open for further replies.