Wood Box Design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotulburner

Hearth Supporter
Sep 9, 2010
maine
Well we moved to a new house. My old place had a built in brick wood box next to the stove. The new house has no storage area near stove. I have been looking at different design ideas but don't see any that really excite me. Thought I would ask the members of this forum for some ideas. I will be feeding a Vermont Castings Encore stove and I only need 1 or 2 days supply in the house. The stove sits in the middle of my living room. I want the box next to stove just far enough to meet all clearance requirements. I would like to build something a little different but not to technical I am only a fair carpenter. Thanks for any ideas.

Jotul, do u have your heart set on a woodbox? Only reason I ask is that with the wood exposed I have found some additional drying helps the wood before it ends up in the stove.

jotulburner said:
No I am open to any and all ideas

My wife likes the look of the medium size wood ring on the hearth. Which on a rare occasion she will fill for me when I get busy. Along with the ring holding about 1.5-2 days worth of wood I have found that the stoves heat will warm the wood to a consistent temp, and along with a floor fan that I use when it gets very cold, this helps to dry the wood a little more than it was when it came into the house.
Funny story; both my boxers lay on beds in front of the stove, sometimes when the wood makes a loud crack from drying, they both will jump up and start barking at the noise.

The only con I can offer is the exposed wood is dirtier, the box would help with this.

I can barely use a screwdriver safely . . . but I ended up building a plain Jane woodbox out of scrap tongue and groove pine boards and a bit of trim to spruce it up a bit. Originally I planned to haul it outside in the Summer, but my wife says while it is pretty simple it is decent enough to keep it in the living room year round as it functions almost like a hope chest. If you do a search with my name and woodbox you should be able to find the pics.

Im glad you started this thread because last year someone posted a wood box I really liked and was hoping to build one like it this year, hopefully he chimes in with a pic, I cant remember the members name.

I posted this on a topic a few days ago. This one is more fitting.
36"w x 25"h x 17.5"d
My stove takes an 18" log. If it doesn't fit in the box it won't fit in the stove.

Attachments

• 11 - 1.jpg
    11 - 1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 662
tsquini said:
I posted this on a topic a few days ago. This one is more fitting.
36"w x 25"h x 17.5"d
My stove takes an 18" log. If it doesn't fit in the box it won't fit in the stove.

If I remember right, TS's woodbox is on rollers too...I like the idea he can roll the box to the outside door to the wood and roll it back to the stove.

I like that 30cal, looks like a little too much for me to handle though, Im going to have to build something fairly simple but I like your wheel idea.

Attachments

• woodbox1.jpg
    woodbox1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 500
  • woodboxcats1.jpg
    woodboxcats1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 652
  • woodbox2.jpg
    woodbox2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 509
  • woodbox4.jpg
    woodbox4.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 533
P.S. The black cat is not dead . . . just sleeping.

Also the pic shows a bunch of my punks, chunks and uglies . . . which is why it isn't nice and neat.

Finally, I have since replaced the window and put up nice wood trim on both the window and hearth.

firefighterjake said:

Also the pic shows a bunch of my punks, chunks and uglies . . . which is why it isn't nice and neat.

Finally, I have since replaced the window and put up nice wood trim on both the window and hearth.

The orange and white cats look none too lively, either. What do you do, tranq them? Not such a bad idea, now that I mention it... Nah, not a tranq made that will even slow a tortie down...

HollowHill said:
firefighterjake said:

The orange and white cats look none too lively, either. What do you do, tranq them? Not such a bad idea, now that I mention it... Nah, not a tranq made that will even slow a tortie down...

Nothing but pure 100% heat from the woodstove . . . makes 'em all sleepy.

Mine is about as simple as they come, strong and functional. It takes a full garden cart load of wood and sits on the porch. Not fancy, but I may paint the outside of it. But then again, maybe not. The cat likes to use it for a scratching post.

Attachments

• woodbox_web.jpg
    woodbox_web.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 192
Status
Not open for further replies.