Wood Burning Insert Accessories

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blowell

Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
N. Eastern MA
Hi Everyone:

Any recommendations on what the best accessories are - looking for wrought iron poker, shovel, ash can, etc. I would like recommendations on specific items and sets if possible - best manufactuers and places to purchase (North Shore of Mass. or internet). I've seen fireplace sets - standard holder plus four items - brush, shovel, poker, and log-picker-upper (doesn't seem too useful for the wood insert, but I'm not really sure). I've seen some sets with what looks like an ash scraper (looks handy).

Also, on these set-ups, any experience with the set-ups that are one entity (known sometimes as a hearth center) - wood and paper/kindling holder plus tools all in one.

Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the forum blowell.

There are many places on the Internet. Here is one good one: Accessories

No specific tools just for an insert . . . or at least no recommendation specific to an insert . . . there is another thread asking folks about their favorite and least favorite accessories.

As far as a place to buy . . . I've always liked Northlineexpress.com -- one of the hearth.com sponsors.

Woodland Direct - on line has a great mini tool set.

I ordered separate pieces - poker and a shovel with the rope design handle. Sturdy and poker is all one piece so the tip doesn't come off....my old one always had to be tightened.

I like the 18" length. Less awkward to handle.

ALso recommend an ash rake and I think I got that on Amazon but just can't remember anymore.

ALso recommend an ash rake and I think I got that on Amazon but just can’t remember anymore.

This is a must, they have one on page two of the link above, I dont remember where I got mine but I dont know how I did without it before. You need some welding gloves, I bought mine an nothlineexpreessalso (see link above) I also bought a black ash bucket at Lowes for $10, I saw them this year for $20 so I must have caught a sale or a clearance. Get a shovel to shovel the ash into the bucket and you just need dry wood and your ready to go :)
The tool set looks nice next to the stove but I dont use anything from the set, my wife bought it as a decoration.

Those fancy fireplace sets pretty much useless. They look pretty though. An ashcan and and ash shovel would be good, as would be an ash rake or other fashioned implement of destruction allowing you to pull your coals forward while leaving behind the ash. A cheap poker isn't a bad idea if you have to shift your splits around in the stove, but if your fuel is in good shape, the need to mess around with your loads will be minimal.

You really only need 5 things, and they don't usually come in the sets!

Pair of welding gloves
Ash Rake
Ash Shovel (I like the cheapo ones from Home Depot)
Ash can with lid
small dust pan with brush for around the hearth

Just a poker for me thanks.... Not into the gloves, use a small vac for spilled ash (on days I clean out the ash pan), occasionally use the brush....don't have a 'tool set' by the stove, just the 1 or 2 tools I consider useful on a daily basis. it's function over asthetics here

Thank you for the welcome, Dennis, and thanks everyone else for the feedback. The ash rake is very high on my list - it just looks handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.