Wood Burning Insert Installation Question (Gas line question)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jharmon203

Dec 8, 2014
Columbus, OH
So I just bought a Lopi Freedom bay on craigslist to install in my home. I have a brick fireplace that has an existing gas line in it. I have removed the ceramic logs and now I have the task of getting the insert in the fireplace. The problem is the gas line is basically on the center right side of the fireplace. It you are looking at your number pad on your keyboard, it would be in position marked by number six. I have included pictures for reference.

I wanted to get some advice on how to get around this gas line. I would prefer to have a solution that allows me to reuse it in the future if I ever take out the insert. I am not able to get to the gas line directly below the fireplace due to the finished basement.

Thanks in advanced for all advice!

Attachments

• 1202142123.jpg
    1202142123.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 1202142124.jpg
    1202142124.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 153
That gas line needs to be removed from the fireplace and capped below before it enters, not what you want to hear but that is the way it should be done.

I would have a pro come and look at this to make sure the setup is OK for a wood burning insert install. Many things to consider doing this right, gas is nothing to mess with if you do not know what you are doing.

Have you already bought the 6" stainless liner to run down the chimney?

Last edited:
Sounds like an access hole will need to be cut down below. Do it between the joist and it should be an easy patch to fix. Be sure to have the chimney completely cleaned (including the smokeshelf) before installing the stainless liner.

One thing you can try is to shut the gas to that line off. Mark the pipe with a sharpie at the location where it enters the firebox.
Using a pipe wrench, remove the vertical section that's projecting into the firebox.
Once you have it removed, you will be able to measure it, cut it & rethread it - unless it's a standard BIP Nipple (which I doubt)...
I would vacuum the debris out of the hole, & might even turn the gas on for a quick blast to clear any debtris that may have entered the line.
Turn the gas off after that blast & thread a cap onto the new thread & re-attach the BIP you removed so that it's flush or lower than the floor.
You may have to enlarge the hole a bit to do this, but you can always patch it with concrete.
Now you will have access to the gas line in the futer if you need it.
Mark the shut off to that gas line with a red tag as warning not to turn it on...

It is no big deal to cut an access hole in the sheetrock below. If you are careful, you can re use the same piece of sheetrock you cut out. Patch it with sheetrock mud, sand, prime and paint it and you are good as new. I have done it many times.

That gas line needs to be removed from the fireplace and capped below before it enters, not what you want to hear but that is the way it should be done.

I would have a pro come and look at this to make sure the setup is OK for a wood burning insert install. Many things to consider doing this right, gas is nothing to mess with if you do not know what you are doing.

Have you already bought the 6" stainless liner to run down the chimney?

Yes, I have already purchased the stainless steel liner. I am curious as to what makes you think I need to have a PRO come out and look at my setup? Is the gas line what is making you question?

When it comes to the gas line, I will have my father who has the tools to rethread and cap assist me with the installation.

Thanks for your reply!

It is no big deal to cut an access hole in the sheetrock below. If you are careful, you can re use the same piece of sheetrock you cut out. Patch it with sheetrock mud, sand, prime and paint it and you are good as new. I have done it many times.

Thanks for this idea. A great possibility to consider.

I am curious as to what makes you think I need to have a PRO come out and look at my setup? Is the gas line what is making you question?

Yes, gas is nothing to mess around with like I mentioned, if you have to come on here asking if you need to remove it I take it you do not work with gas much and should have someone with experience look at the whole setup.

I also had a 2" stub of black pipe gas line sticking up which I had no access to without cutting into my basement ceiling. My installers had to pull up a couple of firebrick and the ash door inside the firebox , remove the 12" pipe section and replace it with a 4" capped stub in its place. Replace and caulk the firebrick.

Attachments

• IMG_7748.JPG
    IMG_7748.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 112
Status
Not open for further replies.