Wood burning stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neumsky

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2011
Oklahoma City
Ok Ya'll... got some Christmas money...wanna know which material is built with longevity in mind... yes...I'm a quality freak. I want it to last. Cast Iron...Plate Iron or Soap Stone. Thanx Jeff Merry Christmas!

In terms of longevity if taken care of they all last a long time. You get what you pay for is the biggest thing there are cheap stoves around that will not last.
If you want good soft heat Soap Stone is amazing and very durable. If you want high heat output Cast Iron will rock your world! If you want good even heat they all work if you buy the right quality. All stoves will need maintenance to take care of such as rust, smudging, and scratches to remove as well as paint on occasion. There are epa stoves that use reburn tubes, catalytic, combuster technologies to burn clean even and long. The one brand that makes a good budget stove line is Englander ( made in USA ) available at Home Depot. Stay away from Vogelzang and most US Stove they are China cheap! If you want high end quality go to a stove store and get advice the decision will ultimately fall on you but research fully. If you don't you will buy a stove and hate it after words there is nothing worse than that.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Pete

Welcome. We'll need to know a lot more about the size and layout of the house that is being heated, the location in the house for the stove and how the stove will be run (24/7 or nights and weekends) before we can make some recommendations.

How bout Jotul? Are parts an issue to get?

neumsky said:

Thats a good question. When we were browsing stoves a few years ago, one of the local shops was having issues with Jotul, and was dropping the line. (That shop went belly-up BTW, so there were probably some credit issues involved).

It will be interesting to hear some Jotul owners chime in.

Well, I have only had the jptul for a few months, but when I went to add the OAK to my stove the part arrived within three days. I am hoping I will not need much more than that for a long while.

I appreciate all this input... Remkel...can you tell me about this part your referring too? and adding oak to my stove? I wonder if you've had the fire a little hot this morning haha? Jeff

OAK = Outside Air Kit

It's a fitting and a metal hose usually that hooks up to the stove and an outside air vent.

Ok...foot in mouth...but that's why I'm here...to learn from Ya'll haha. I was looking at the pictures and noticed alot of Jotuls...must be a popular stove.

neumsky said:

It's a Jotul . . . who needs parts? ;) :)

I would be comfortable going with steel, cast iron or soapstone if you're just looking at longevity . . . the key is how you operate your stove and maintain it . . . that's the real determining factor in how it will look and stand up in the long term.

I decided to get some spare parts for my f 500, not that I needed them, but Just in case. I got grates, glass, a bafell, and a set of secondary air tubes. To answser your question, I had no problems getting parts. The air tubes are super heavy duty, I would think they would never burn out.

neumsky said:

Jotuls are well made stoves that are very popular for their good looks, simple operation, solid construction and long history of stove making. You can still get most parts for Jotuls 30 years old.

This is great stuff guy's & gals...I appreciate this... I really like hearing that Jotuls are good... they have a nice old fashioned look to them also. Jeff

Welcome to the forum neumsky. Hope Y'all enjoy yourself.

As BeGreen suggested, it would help if you tell us a bit about your house and what you are trying to accomplish excepting for that keeping warm part.

Thanx...will give some details when I get a little more time...

If longivity is your main concern, may I humbly point out that my stove is already over 3 billion years old.

;-)

firefighterjake said:
neumsky said:

It's a Jotul . . . who needs parts? ;) :)

Thats what I'm wondering 10 years with the Castine.

Status
Not open for further replies.