Wood crafts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
While looking at the end cuts of some of my wood, I got to thinking about what could be made with it. I'm thinking coasters, cutting boards or plaques of some sort. The first picture is a 6” slab of hickory, the others are white oak. I think cedar would be a really good to make something with. I'm sure a mill would really take it to another level. With Christmas right around the corner it could make for a nice gift. Has anyone else here made anything with the wood they've cut?

hickory.JPG white oak 1.JPG white oak 2.JPG

While looking at the end cuts of some of my wood, I got to thinking about what could be made with it. I'm thinking coasters, cutting boards or plaques of some sort. The first picture is a 6” slab of hickory, the others are white oak. I think cedar would be a really good to make something with. I'm sure a mill would really take it to another level. With Christmas right around the corner it could make for a nice gift. Has anyone else here made anything with the wood they've cut?

View attachment 269335 View attachment 269336 View attachment 269337
Those are like perfect slices. They tend to want to crack like that. I’ve made a few clocks and tables out of burrows. I’ve e seen some slices like that banded and made into things. I’ve also made some live edge stuff that turned out really cool.

Reactions: MoDoug
Those are like perfect slices. They tend to want to crack like that. I’ve made a few clocks and tables out of burrows. I’ve e seen some slices like that banded and made into things. I’ve also made some live edge stuff that turned out really cool.
I haven't thought of clocks, that would be good for the larger oak slice. Maybe even the smaller slices for a desk clock. Our neighbor made a live edge coffee table, it's definitely a work of art.

Yep. These were once cherry, oak and maple firewood pieces. The butter knife is walnut. It's simple but I enjoy it.

View attachment 269349

I like these, my wife would love something like this. How did you do it? They may be simple, but I bet it was time consuming!

Last edited:
I made some pot coasters with the piece of wood in my avatar. Got 3 x 12" round-ish slices. His name was Sad Log and he was a heck of a maple. ;)

As stated once the cookies dry out, a split typically occurs unfortunately. The thinner and bigger diameter the cookie, the faster it will happen. 6" diameter might be ok. If you put a finish/sealer on it quickly you .au be able to trap the moisture inside to prevent. But maybe not....
They do not split right in half typically, so your time and effort is not wasted. Limbs will stay together better than a pice from the trunk....tighter grain helps

To prevent checking, as soon as you cut your round put some linseed oil on it.
As stated once the cookies dry out, a split typically occurs unfortunately. The thinner and bigger diameter the cookie, the faster it will happen. 6" diameter might be ok. If you put a finish/sealer on it quickly you .au be able to trap the moisture inside to prevent. But maybe not....
They do not split right in half typically, so your time and effort is not wasted. Limbs will stay together better than a pice from the trunk....tighter grain helps

Good to know, I'll have to try some linseed oil. My wife said we have some somewhere. And yes, they are already checking! :)

Attachments

• check.JPG
    check.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 96
I’ve seen them banded but not sure if there was any special kiln process that went with it. If you find any burrows, they won’t crack or check but the bark will come loose

While researching wood creations, I ran across lazy susan's and noticed you can buy the hardware for them. That would be another idea for something to make.

My daughter used birch slices, maybe 3"dia, with names written on to signify guest locations at a reception. I heard that soaking in alcohol with change up the drying process to eliminate checking.

My daughter used birch slices, maybe 3"dia, with names written on to signify guest locations at a reception. I heard that soaking in alcohol with change up the drying process to eliminate checking.
That’s a good idea, creative and personal!

Look up soaking the wood with polyethylene glycol (PEG), The PEG is supposed to displace the water in wood and then it does not dry out I think bowl turners use it. Its a non toxic finish (its used a food additive and anyone who has ever colonoscopy has drank a bunch of it). Its got limitations as it makes the wood waxy so the glue and many finishes wont stick to it. There is another product called Pentacryl that I think has less limitations https://www.preservation-solutions.com/product/pentacryl/