wood cutting and wood id ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coltfever

Burning Hunk
Jan 4, 2011
Middle Tennessee
This should me my last wood cutting in the woods for the year unless the winds put another one on the ground for me. I had to cut this old oak down. Its been standing dead for a few years now and all the bark is gone but tree sure is solid. ( pictured stack aganist barn ) I was hoping someone could tell me what this other stack of wood might be. Looks like walnut but the bark doesn't look like it. Sure splits easy. No walnuts on ground around it anywhere. Tree wasn't dead. Wind blew it over next to a stream and still had large rootball attached. I wish I had taken a picture before I cut it up. 3 leaf poison ivey all over this thing. Lucky I never got the first itch. At first I thought nope not gonna cut this tree up. Then the more I looked at it the more I wanted to get into it. So I would cut awhile then pull vines awhile. Pictures were taken by phone so not the best.

Attachments

• Photo-0004.jpg
    Photo-0004.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 471
  • Photo-0003.jpg
    Photo-0003.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 493
  • Photo-0005.jpg
    Photo-0005.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 452
  • Photo-0007.jpg
    Photo-0007.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 436
2nd BW. They are very nice phone pics.

+3 Walnut

Third pic is all black walnut, but that second pic looks like a mix of two different trees.....some of those rounds resemble red elm if you ask me, the ones on the top of the pile.

At the time I'm cutting this into rounds I'm thinking this tree looks like walnut but not sure because no walnuts on the ground around it anywhere. The wood on the trailer and the wood on the ground is from same tree. I just thought I would start splitting the small stuff first. Anyway looks like everyone thinks its walnut so my heat output should be about the same as my black cherry wood.

Looks like walnut.
Grandpa , (years ago) told me, walnut trees needed to have other walnut trees around to get nuts.
Nice looking wood in all the stacks. :)

Black Walnut is my vote also.
Had about 3 cords of it last year into this year. Beautiful wood. Burns good & hot, leaves a ton of white ash though.
Burn away!

Oh ya. You have some nice burning wood there and some pretty wood too. Oak and walnut it is.

hey coltfever..... that second pic definately looks like black walnut.
I split some that looked just like that about a week ago.
I hear it burns fairly well after a year or so of seasoning.

good luck
chuck

In photo 0003 there are clearly two different trees. The smaller stuff around the edges looks in all respects like Black Walnut. The larger rounds in the middle hvae wood that looks like Black Walnut but the bark doesn't look right. You can see how the bark is browner than the other bark and the pattern is a little different. I agree with scotty that the bark looks like Red Elm, but the wood seems so dark that only walnut makes sense. Maybe it is just another Black walnut that looks a little odd.

I cut and split a tree here in Northern Kentucky a couple of months ago that looks very much like this (0003) After posting some pictures on this forum (see "What Wood Is This" I believe is the title of my post) and doing some looking on my own I'm beginning to think it's either pignut hickory or maybe butternut/white walnut, but I'm still not sure. I There were no leaves on the tree when I cut it and I've found no nuts around the area. The bark is not correct for black walnut either but when first cut it sure looked like black walnut. The wood got lighter a few days after it was cut, more of a tan color. It split very nicely and is heavy. I don't guess it matters cause in a year or two it will burn!

Sorry to further confuse the issue :cheese:

Black Walnut,great stuff.Have a little left of the tops/branches/milling scrap/slabs from a CL score in Sept. 2010.Will be gone in 2-3 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.