Wood delivery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roberth42

Hearth Supporter
May 12, 2010
Tres-St-Redempteur, Quebec
Saw an ad posted on Kijiji for firewood at $60.00/face cord. Called the guy and had him deliver 10 face cords, the wood is mostly Maple & Ash.
I think it's a good deal since we usually pay $100.00/Face cord.
The photo is only half of the order as his truck would only handle 5 face cords. Should get the rest next week.

UPDATE:
Have just received the second load and I stacked the first load. Figure he was short by about half a face cord and he tells me he made up for it on the second load. Need to get it stacked now to be sure. He told me if I was not satisfied that I could get some more if i need to.
Have come to learn that firewood is not his main source of income and that he is a arborist by trade. He figures he gives away around 150 cord a year!!

Attachments

• wood resize.jpg
    wood resize.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 554
  • Photo 11-06-24 2 12 18 PM.jpeg
    Photo 11-06-24 2 12 18 PM.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 256
  • Photo 11-06-24 2 12 19 PM.jpeg
    Photo 11-06-24 2 12 19 PM.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 263
Still confused as I have seen different explanations. How many cubic feet to a face cord, or how many face cords to a cord (128cf)?

If there are three face cords to a cord, as I have seen sometimes stated, then at $180C for a cord, split and delivered, it seems like a decent deal. It's been my observation that prices on wood fluctuates seasonally quite a bit, so you may be getting a better buy by purchasing it now.

Same here what is a face cord? That picture looks like about 1 1/2 cords, give or take.

LOL

Pretty much the standard around here to sell face cords. A standard face cord here is 4'x8' and usually 16" long splits. A full cord would be 3 face cords.

Stack n' measure, looks a bit shy to me, but the depth of the pic is deceiving. Good Luck, $60. is not a bad price delivered for hardwood it seems delivered these days.
Bonne Chance.

mainstation said:
Stack n' measure, looks a bit shy to me, but the depth of the pic is deceiving. Good Luck, $60. is not a bad price delivered for hardwood it seems delivered these days.
Bonne Chance.
+1 on stacking, you don't know till you do and I'd get it done before he brings the other load. It looks pretty close to me and if it is about right the $60 is a pretty good deal.

Face cord...I've always figured it to be a stack 4'x8'x16". Those splits appear to be 18" to me, though....why they look that length to me I have no idea being as there's really nothing to measure/compare them to.

Best wishes...now get to stackin'!. :)

Ed

ETA: I dunno...I'm beginning to think it might be a little short. I stack in 4'x12' stacks which equals out to 1/2 cord...I'm not really seeing almost 3 of my stacks in that pile unless it is deeper than it appears.

Looks like a good deal to me! That's 180 per cord CSD which is good with fuel costs so high..

Ray

The wood looks great and I do hope you don't get shorted. Looks close. If it were me I'd get that stacked quickly before he delivers the next load so you would know how much you have. If it is not 5 face cord there you could nail him right when he delivers.

It's funny that one time we had some folks cutting wood here. He had a decent truck with a dump box. He told me it held 6 face cord but the guy who did the splitting and loading said it was 5 face cord. One time he dumped a load for me and I stacked it to get just a tad over 4 face cord and it also was cut from 12-14" with a few at 16". He has a huge business selling firewood too so I guess his customers just take his word.

I got shorted on a delivery this spring. Ordered and paid for 3 cords cut to 18"; fellow started unloading it and I realized that a lot of what was coming out was too long for my stove. Pointed that out, and he said he had some friends working for him who weren't paying attention to length when they cut. I wasn't happy about that, but knew it was a long drive for him, and recognized that he was just getting started in this business, so asked him if he'd cut it down to length with the next delivery, and he said he would. I didn't realize at that point that not only was some wood too long, but the load was also short.

When I got to splitting and stacking, I realized that the problem was worse than I thought--more than 1/4 of the wood was too long. I was too busy to deal with that at the time, and trying to move it through high snow to the stack-n'-store spot--so let it sit while kids and I got school wrapped up. Finally got it all stacked in the round, and found I only had 1-1/2 cords of the three I'd paid for at a useable length. There was about another 80cf that was flat too long for my stove, leaving me still almost a cord short.

When I called him up and told him, at first he questioned me--did I split it before I stacked and measured?--no, thanks for asking. I split about a 1/4 cord before I realized just how much was too long, and then I stopped. When I was ready to deal with it, I measured every stinkin' piece of wood for length (against a stick) and sorted and stacked. A lot of extra work, and a lot of seasoning time lost. Then I asked him about the inside dimensions of the truck bed, and he said that it was 12x8x4, which was three cords. I reminded him that when he delivered, the truck was only stacked three feet high, since he'd just gotten it and wasn't sure how much weight it would take, so 12x8x3 was 2-1/4 cords--which was just about what I had. Told him I'd like him to bring me 1-1/2 cords cut to the right length, and I'd help him reload the too-long stuff, and he said he would. Wasn't sure how this would play out, since he'd cashed the check awhile ago, but he was willing to make this right once he was convinced I wasn't just trying to get extra wood out of him.

I agree with the above posters--your best best will be to have this stuff stacked when the next load comes. Hopefully, the load will come out fair and square, or the dealer will put it right on the spot. When you find someone who takes pride in giving fair measure for the price, it's such a relief.

Good Robert, that he is making things right for you. A good supplier is a good thing to have!

Status
Not open for further replies.