$500 a cord in Mass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes kiln dried goes for big money here. Some of the rich folk like it since no bugs and can store inside. I know a guy who pays $800 a cord for it.
Place that tumbles the wood is $450 a cord here.

The locals used to call it ski lodge wood. Most of the ski lodges south of me in the Jackson or Bartlett NH area south of me are in the million plus range. If folks want to have fire, they want split clean dry wood and packaged kindling to go with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
I
The locals used to call it ski lodge wood. Most of the ski lodges south of me in the Jackson or Bartlett NH area south of me are in the million plus range. If folks want to have fire, they want split clean dry wood and packaged kindling to go with it.
I do buy some bags of Ossipee Mountain kiln dried .4 cubic ft. kindling at Market Basket for $6 bag to have on hand. Grew up camping in the area with good memories so I have no problem supporting a business in that region.

They sell "seconds" for $85 a quarter cord bag on a pallet. Mostly shorts and crotches. My boiler loves them, darn near almost don't need kindling. If someone has the truck to haul them, hard to beat.

Yes kiln dried goes for big money here. Some of the rich folk like it since no bugs and can store inside. I know a guy who pays $800 a cord for it.
I keep a week's worth of wood in the basement myself right near the door. Easy to bring it in and I only have to lug wood inside once a week. Can just pop downstairs with the log bag and bring it up to the stove. Easy cleanup with the shop vac.

I could probably get $700+ per cord for my red oak stash but I enjoy looking at it in the yard. Money in the bank and BTUs for the house.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
I keep a week's worth of wood in the basement myself right near the door. Easy to bring it in and I only have to lug wood inside once a week. Can just pop downstairs with the log bag and bring it up to the stove. Easy cleanup with the shop vac.

I could probably get $700+ per cord for my red oak stash but I enjoy looking at it in the yard. Money in the bank and BTUs for the house.
That’s a great situation. I have no room in the unfinished side of my basement to store a weeks worth of wood. Other side is finished. I have various stacks ( 4 cords) in my yard so have to bring a few days worth in to keep near my stove. I keep just over a 1/3 cord (emergency wood during a bad storm) under my deck so easy access from walkout basement. I was lucky to get 3/4 cord of dried cherry and 3/4 of a cord of mixed nicely seasoned hardwood from a guy near me. I did resplit some of my oak a little smaller so the other stacks will have 2+ years since split when I’m ready to use it next season. I’m really not burning a lot of wood with my small stove. PE Vista firebox is only 1.6. Start it in the AM stack before bed. House got to 77 last night on main floor and it was 68 at 9 am. That’s with a good wind & snow last night in the upper 20’s.

That’s a great situation. I have no room in the unfinished side of my basement to store a weeks worth of wood. Other side is finished. I have various stacks ( 4 cords) in my yard so have to bring a few days worth in to keep near my stove. I keep just over a 1/3 cord (emergency wood during a bad storm) under my deck so easy access from walkout basement. I was lucky to get 3/4 cord of dried cherry and 3/4 of a cord of mixed nicely seasoned hardwood from a guy near me. I did resplit some of my oak a little smaller so the other stacks will have 2+ years since split when I’m ready to use it next season. I’m really not burning a lot of wood with my small stove. PE Vista firebox is only 1.6. Start it in the AM stack before bed. House got to 77 last night on main floor and it was 68 at 9 am. That’s with a good wind & snow last night in the upper 20’s.
I live nearby and burn about 4 cords a year in my 1.85 cu ft stove. I have a 1600 sq ft house and it's my primary heat source. House stays between 68-72 all winter. Don't need a big stove if you're able to set it up right!

Keeping a week's worth of wood inside is critical for me. It gives it that nice touch of extra dryness, it warms up from being outside, and keeps me from going outside to haul wood all the time. I used to go out almost daily my first year it was miserable. Getting rained on, snowed on, cold, and the wood was freezing. That's extra BTUs gone just to warm the wood up in the firebox and longer ignition times.

I have approx 12 cords on hand to start each winter then I restock around this time of year once I've burned a bit to make room. Typically burning red oak, red maple, cherry, and ash with other species mixed in when they show up. I get all my wood log length from a local tree service. It's a system that works for me so that I'm always burning 3 year old quality dry wood.

Here's my driveway as of this morning! Got 2 cords bucked and am halfway thru splitting it. Weather wasn't agreeing today so I'll finish it next week.

PXL_20230116_190133596.jpg

I live nearby and burn about 4 cords a year in my 1.85 cu ft stove.
Oof! That's a lot of loads!

Ever consider going to a cat stove with a bigger firebox, so you could cut the number of loads per winter in half? You're burning the same amount of wood as most with 3 cubic foot fireboxes.

Ever consider going to a cat stove with a bigger firebox, so you could cut the number of loads per winter in half? You're burning the same amount of wood as most with 3 cubic foot fireboxes.
Might be lower btu wood…. If you need the heat, you need the heat!
Nah it's all hardwood. We just like to keep the house warm around 70-72 ideally. I'm not a big fan of cat stoves, I prefer the simplicity of non-cats.

I'd love a bigger stove but I'm limited by the odd size of the fireplace and overall size of my hearth and living room. It's not a big house. A free stander would take up too much room and this is the biggest insert that would fit at the time. When it's time to replace it down the line I'll definitely be looking for bigger options.

I don't have any complaints though. I can fit a lot of wood in there when I Tetris it in. I get overnight burns no problem. I loaded it last night at 10:30 and I'm about to go down now at 7:30 and there will be coals. It carries 100% of the load down until about 5 degrees overnight then the back up heat will kick in or I'll get up early to add some wood.

Here's what I meant by the unique fireplace shape. It's shallow with a bit taper...basically a trapezoid. So flush inserts are out. My 1600 projects out about 8" if I put the surround up. We decided this year we like the look without the surround and I think it functions a little better too. This summer I'm going to either paint the connector or cover the pipe with 8" black pipe to make it look neater.

In the future I think my options for a bigger firebox would be getting something a bit taller and/or extending the hearth out a few rows of bricks to create more space without eating up too much of the room. I also intend to move the computer out of that corner once we remodel in the next couple years for more wood storage etc.

PS - please pardon the mess! I haven't cleaned in a few days. This old couch is Gordon's defacto dog bed now. It's leaking filling but he loves it so much we can't get rid of it yet.

PXL_20230117_161115431.jpg

PXL_20230117_161718552.jpg

PXL_20230117_161459697.jpg

I live nearby and burn about 4 cords a year in my 1.85 cu ft stove. I have a 1600 sq ft house and it's my primary heat source. House stays between 68-72 all winter. Don't need a big stove if you're able to set it up right!

Keeping a week's worth of wood inside is critical for me. It gives it that nice touch of extra dryness, it warms up from being outside, and keeps me from going outside to haul wood all the time. I used to go out almost daily my first year it was miserable. Getting rained on, snowed on, cold, and the wood was freezing. That's extra BTUs gone just to warm the wood up in the firebox and longer ignition times.

I have approx 12 cords on hand to start each winter then I restock around this time of year once I've burned a bit to make room. Typically burning red oak, red maple, cherry, and ash with other species mixed in when they show up. I get all my wood log length from a local tree service. It's a system that works for me so that I'm always burning 3 year old quality dry wood.

Here's my driveway as of this morning! Got 2 cords bucked and am halfway thru splitting it. Weather wasn't agreeing today so I'll finish it next week.

View attachment 307903
That looks gorgeous! although wife would probably kick me to the driveway to sleep with the wood if I had so much wood on driveway

Reactions: Ashhole
That looks gorgeous! although wife would probably kick me to the driveway to sleep with the wood if I had so much wood on driveway
You have to get her to see that wood is money in the bank. To us it's just a giant pile of $$$ and cozy winter BTUs.

Reactions: Wood1Dennis
I'm a fellow member of the small stove club. Out Morso is advertised with a less than one cubic foot firebox, but it easily keeps put 1200 sqft well insulated saltbox warm with three loads a day in all but the coldest weather. We also have a cookstove with a slightly larger firebox, but the Morso is capable of carrying the entire heat load. On the coldest days, before we bought the cooker, we had to load it four or more times a day and actively burn down the coals. On mild days I just light one stove or the other once in the morning and once before bed. Easy with the cookstove since we like to cook.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
I'm a fellow member of the small stove club.
You know guys... they have surgery for this problem, now.

Surgical providers are Pacific Energy, Blaze King, Jotul...

They don't accept my oddly shaped fireplace insurance. 🤣

I have to go outside in the snow and get wood for the first time this year. I didn't bring in enough last week I'm like two fires short. Paying the price for being lazy and not bringing more in. "This looks like enough" instead of filling the rack. Feelsbad.

We didn't want a cat stove and needed something for our small space. The house came with a 1976 Defiant I (early version) which was entirely oversized even when building small fires. Even with my small stove I only have to load it every 8 - 12 hours because the house is so well insulated with lots of solar gain, at least on mild days. Even on the coldest days it's not a chore.

The small stoves do very well. I’m actually amazed how well our non cat PE Vista heats our 1,900 sq ft cape. House was cooking last night. I supplemented some two cherry splits with two small compressed wood bricks and stove temp jumped to 625. House before we went to bed was 78 downstairs and 72 up. Had to crack two windows for a bit.

i typically buy two cords per season. i used to store it right outside the porch entry, then i started storing about a two week cube on the porch. now i store the whole amount on the protected porch. as well as buckets of forest picked kindling. much easier, and the weight goes down as i burn!

DE8B177D-CC98-410F-AFE3-8A2B572EAE0F.jpeg

On Aquidneck island in R.I $420 for klin dried, things are more expensive on the island, from houses to bread and you get used to it. It’s the price you pay for living in a special place.

On Aquidneck island in R.I $420 for klin dried, things are more expensive on the island, from houses to bread and you get used to it. It’s the price you pay for living in a special place.
If that price is for a cord that is cheap if it is kiln dried.

Someone on my town's FB page was looking for firewood this morning. A reply mentioned this place near me: https://www.trombettasfarm.com/. Ouch!

This wood comes in 1/3rd cords for $299 or 1/2 cord for $399. We will offer local delivery for a $40 fee.

Someone on my town's FB page was looking for firewood this morning. A reply mentioned this place near me: https://www.trombettasfarm.com/. Ouch!

This wood comes in 1/3rd cords for $299 or 1/2 cord for $399. We will offer local delivery for a $40 fee.
They have decent ice cream and mini golf for the kids at least!

There was so much hype in Mass this year with tree services on the news say demand was high fueling crazy cord prices. Saw anywhere from $250-$600. I can say the place near me has lots of cords cut probably over 600. Interesting to see what the mild winter does to prices this spring.

There was so much hype in Mass this year with tree services on the news say demand was high fueling crazy cord prices. Saw anywhere from $250-$600. I can say the place near me has lots of cords cut probably over 600. Interesting to see what the mild winter does to prices this spring.
The tax credit bunch will keep prices up especially if it's actually real dried wood. most that are buying now don't want that unsightly wood pile all year in their yard.