BEST STOVE OPERATED? Early results! Anyone else?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SolarAndWood said:
24 hr burn cycles now, 12 when its cold and/or blowing. Burns high and low equally well. Thermostat removes all the guesswork and tending. I can't imagine an easier stove to operate unless it fed itself.
I take it you're talking about your Blaze King King. Aside from the name and the looks, on paper the BKs are the best thing to happen to wood heating since the invention of the match. The claims on their site of a 40 hour burn time on one 4.27 cubic foot firebox are almost unbelievable. What is the secret to the long burn that no other stove company claims to match? I would love to bring one of those to my basement, if for nothing else just to see if I could get a burn that long. I would have to agree with you that the thermostats are not used enough by stove manufacturers. They are simple technology that should be employed by every modern stove IMO. I guess I should state that the BK has an almost mystical quality for me. From what you say it sounds like a very easy stove to operate. Combined with the legendary efficiency and long burns this stove sounds like it would be a joy to own. No wonder BK owners stand by these stoves!!! Thank you SolarAndWood, for this pure and simple explanation of why the BK could truly be the king of all stoves!

If you count every nook and cranny, you might come up with their published volume. A real world measurement is more like 24" wide by their recommended split length 18" deep by 15" to the bottom of the cat enclosure. I had no problem reproducing the 40 hr burn with locust but in general I burn lower density wood when I don't need as much heat and save the good stuff for when it is cold and blowing.

I'm no stove tech, but my guess is the combustion control is achieved by only having one door to seal and a nice tight simple top exit through the cat. I imagine that when Woodstock comes out with a bigger stove it will perform similarly given the performance reported by the Fireview crew.

The 12 and 24 hour burn cycles have worked well for us. I would highly recommend anyone considering 24/7 burning to take a look at these stoves.

VCBurner said:
The claims on their site of a 40 hour burn time on one 4.72 cubic foot firebox are almost unbelievable. What is the secret to the long burn that no other stove company claims to match?

Quick, name another stove that has nearly a 5 cu ft fire box and is catalytic.

Kind of answers your question...

If you count every nook and cranny, you might come up with their published volume. A real world measurement is more like 24” wide by their recommended split length 18” deep by 15” to the bottom of the cat enclosure.
So according to SolarAndWood, the usable space in it's firebox is 24"x18"x15"=6480" ³ divided by 1728=3.75ft ³ . This is still pretty impressive!! But doesn't explain the 40 hour long burn alone. I'm no expert at stove design and before this year had never even thought much about the subject. However, if I was in the business of manufacturing stoves, I would certainly try to recreate the performance of the Blaze King King.

Kind of answers your question…
You caught me by surprize with that question BrowningBar. It makes sence to draw a conclusion from it. However, even if you consider the actual wood load that fits in it's box is less than 4ft ³, the 40 hour long burn is still impressive. I have a feeling the thermostat plays a role in the burn time along with the single door design as S'n'Wood indicated. I would have to research firebox sizes, in order to come up with a more educated answer, as to what other cat stove has a big firebox. Maybe some cat stove users can shed some light on the subject. Here's a question for you Woodstock users: what is the actual size of the firebox in the Fireview?

BrowningBAR said:
VCBurner said:
The claims on their site of a 40 hour burn time on one 4.72 cubic foot firebox are almost unbelievable. What is the secret to the long burn that no other stove company claims to match?

http://www.buckstove.com/wood/model91.html

VCBurner said:
Kind of answers your question…
You caught me by surprize with that question BrowningBar. It makes sence to draw a conclusion from it. However, even if you consider the actual wood load that fits in it's box is less than 4ft ³, the 40 hour long burn is still impressive. I have a feeling the thermostat plays a role in the burn time along with the single door design as S'n'Wood indicated. I would have to research firebox sizes, in order to come up with a more educated answer, as to what other cat stove has a big firebox. Maybe some cat stove users can shed some light on the subject. Here's a question for you Woodstock users: what is the actual size of the firebox in the Fireview?

The Fireview is listed as 2.1 while the owners state that usable space is closer to 1.7. So, lets go on the listed number of 2.1 cu ft. Owners have repeatedly reported burn times of 12 hours (with some even going longer). Now double the listed firebox size to 4.2 and I wouldn't be surprised to hear users more than double their burn times.

If Woodstock came out with a stove with a 4.7 cu ft firebox (roughly the listed size of the BK King) I would not be surprised to hear that burn times would be in the 30+ hour range and would probably come close to Blaze Kings capabilities.

The fact is that there aren't any cat stoves out there that have a firebox* that comes close to competing with Blaze King. Size is king. If Hearthstone made the Equinox into a good catalytic stove (and didn't half ass it) you would probably see some impressive burn times.

Again, the long burn times from the Blaze King isn't when the stove is cranking. Most owners state that they will get 12-20 hours of usable heat (definition varies) during the colder periods. The 40 hour burn times is usually during shoulder season.

* Ok, I guess the Buck 91 comes mighty close. Thanks Todd.

Todd said:
BrowningBAR said:
VCBurner said:

http://www.buckstove.com/wood/model91.html

Anyone got one? What type of burn times have been reported from the Buck 91?

When it comes to best stove operated by myself... you know what answer it will be. The comfort of loading the stove to the gills with extra dry wood on a full coal bed and still having the control over it to snuff it out and walk away to burn clean speaks for itself.

The Fireview is listed as 2.1 while the owners state that usable space is closer to 1.7. Now double the listed firebox size to 4.2 and I wouldn’t be surprised to hear users more than double their burn times. If Woodstock came out with a stove with a 4.7 cu ft firebox (roughly the listed size of the BK King) I would not be surprised to hear that burn times would be in the 30+ hour range and would probably come close to Blaze Kings capabilities.
Good point and thanks for the stats on the Fireview. I could see a larger Woodstock getting BK King's lengthy burns! It just boggles my mind, that no one has come up with something to compete with them in that reguard! We'll see when the new Woodstock comes out what it can do.
Thanks for the link Todd. They are similar in firebox size (Buck 91 @4.4ft ³, BK King @ 4.7) and are both cats. I wonder how long the Buck can burn? I didn't see any stats on their site.
When it comes to best stove operated by myself… you know what answer it will be. The comfort of loading the stove to the gills with extra dry wood on a full coal bed and still having the control over it to snuff it out and walk away to burn clean speaks for itself.
I agree with you North of 60! Sounds like operation is a breeze with the BK Princess too!

[quote author="VCBurner" date="1268009986"]
Good point and thanks for the stats on the Fireview. I could see a larger Woodstock getting BK King's lengthy burns! It just boggles my mind, that no one has come up with something to compete with them in that reguard! We'll see when the new Woodstock comes out what it can do.
My guess is that the market for stoves in that size range is very small, and no one really wants to go through the design and testing and marketing to compete. Same reason that if you actually need a 1 ton SUV, you get a Suburban.

My guess is that the market for stoves in that size range is very small, and no one really wants to go through the design and testing and marketing to compete. Same reason that if you actually need a 1 ton SUV, you get a Suburban.
I smell what your steppin' in! Less demand for those big boys and lots of money tied up on coming up with one! Hopefully the need for wood stoves will continue to drive manufacturers to strive for a better product and we can all benefit from innovation and greater efficiency! Tell all your friends to burn wood, I know I do, we've only gone through ~30 galloons of heating oil this season!

Dakotas Dad said:

I smell what your steppin' in! Less demand for those big boys and lots of money tied up on coming up with one! Hopefully the need for wood stoves will continue to drive manufacturers to strive for a better product and we can all benefit from innovation and greater efficiency!

My 3/4 ton Suburban rides pretty rough compared to my old 1/2 ton, but I bet an 8 cu ft BK would burn just as smooth as the King. I would be all over a firebox 6" deeper to the max of my splitter and then twice as high. If they ditched the ash pan, it wouldn't even need to be much taller.

SolarAndWood said:
My 3/4 ton Suburban rides pretty rough compared to my old 1/2 ton, but I bet an 8 cu ft BK would burn just as smooth as the King. I would be all over a firebox 6" deeper to the max of my splitter and then twice as high. If they ditched the ash pan, it wouldn't even need to be much taller.
Now, if all indications, that long burns are directly related to firebox size, that BK would burn for how long? 70-80 hours? Then we would be approaching the burn lengths we should have with today's technology.

The ideal stove would work like this? Primary air opens to bring stove up to operating temp & close. Secondary air would work until flames disappear & close. Residual coals would sit on grates which are fed air under the grate only when the primary & secondary air intakes have closed & then the coals' air intake should be adjustable so to adapt to the chimney"s height & to either preserve the coals or get rid of the coals.

SolarAndWood said:
Dakotas Dad said:

I smell what your steppin' in! Less demand for those big boys and lots of money tied up on coming up with one! Hopefully the need for wood stoves will continue to drive manufacturers to strive for a better product and we can all benefit from innovation and greater efficiency!

If you want to settle that ride down.. you can do what we did, and the reason I know what has to be bought if you need to go big.. hook it up to 31' of Airstream..lol.

Dakotas Dad said:
hook it up to 31' of Airstream..lol.

I like your thinking, there will be ~31' of sail powered fiberglass behind it after the bleeding of the house project subsides. Until then, it is loads of building materials, stone, etc in the dump trailer.

Despite some shortcomings I've gotten reliable service from this stove since 1988.. Most of the issues were caused by me burning wet wood before I knew better or loads of pallet wood. This forum has been educational and wish it was around back when I started.. If the Dutchwest 2461 is built similar to this one as far as no firebrick and minimal use of refractory materials I would consider it from a durability standpoint.. I love how the soapstones look but I prefer convection heat so cast iron is my choice and it looks good too..

Ray

VCBurner said:
The Fireview is listed as 2.1 while the owners state that usable space is closer to 1.7. Now double the listed firebox size to 4.2 and I wouldn’t be surprised to hear users more than double their burn times. If Woodstock came out with a stove with a 4.7 cu ft firebox (roughly the listed size of the BK King) I would not be surprised to hear that burn times would be in the 30+ hour range and would probably come close to Blaze Kings capabilities.
Thanks for the link Todd. They are similar in firebox size (Buck 91 @4.4ft ³, BK King @ 4.7) and are both cats. I wonder how long the Buck can burn? I didn't see any stats on their site.
When it comes to best stove operated by myself… you know what answer it will be. The comfort of loading the stove to the gills with extra dry wood on a full coal bed and still having the control over it to snuff it out and walk away to burn clean speaks for itself.
I agree with you North of 60! Sounds like operation is a breeze with the BK Princess too!

Not that it really matters, but where are you guys coming up with the Blaze King 4.7 cu ft fire Box? When I look at their site it states 4.27?

Sorry Todd, and everyone else who was confused by my error on the Bk King firebox cubic footage. The correct size is 4.27! Thanks for pointing it out, Todd. I got my info from http://www.blazeking.com/wood-stoves.html
But obviously wrote it down wrong. I'll edit the post.

VCBurner said:
The correct size is 4.27!

Only when compared against other glossy print numbers. The only way to compare fireboxes is by putting a tape measure in them and measuring what could reasonably be filled a few hundred times a year with relatively little thought and effort.

I own a Vermont Castings Dutchwest wood burning stove currently. I am tired of all the BS talk about the 2461. If anyone can find me a stove that can burn the variance of wood, burning conditions, or beauty that this stove provides you can kiss my rear. This stove takes it all and even though you have to replace the Cat every 3-4 years it's still a heat keeper. The people I grew up around (woodsmen) swear by it's ability to adjust to all climactic conditions hence the air controls. When an elder firewood burner of oak, pine, hickory,ash, black locust, cedar, red oak, and elm tells me that it's the most versatile stove out there... I'd listen! Backpuffing, loose gaskets, black glass, blah, blah, blah wear me thin. This is a stove that really produces. We can all talk about burn times, but this one always has 60-75 degree heat offerings on overnight burns. It'll keep our 2483 sf house at 72* all winter, heck my 5 year old runs naked around our 1919 2story craftsman. Sorry for the tear, just tired of hearing all these folks on here that want to throw a match in there and think that's all they have to do!!! If you want heat, ya gotta work at it, and if ya want the most efficiency out of your stove, you gotta work at it. The 2461 gives you true wood burning options!!!

PIX said:
I own a Vermont Castings Dutchwest wood burning stove currently. I am tired of all the BS talk about the 2461. If anyone can find me a stove that can burn the variance of wood, burning conditions, or beauty that this stove provides you can kiss my rear. This stove takes it all and even though you have to replace the Cat every 3-4 years it's still a heat keeper. The people I grew up around (woodsmen) swear by it's ability to adjust to all climactic conditions hence the air controls. When an elder firewood burner of oak, pine, hickory,ash, black locust, cedar, red oak, and elm tells me that it's the most versatile stove out there... I'd listen! Backpuffing, loose gaskets, black glass, blah, blah, blah wear me thin. This is a stove that really produces. We can all talk about burn times, but this one always has 60-75 degree heat offerings on overnight burns. It'll keep our 2483 sf house at 72* all winter, heck my 5 year old runs naked around our 1919 2story craftsman. Sorry for the tear, just tired of hearing all these folks on here that want to throw a match in there and think that's all they have to do!!! If you want heat, ya gotta work at it, and if ya want the most efficiency out of your stove, you gotta work at it. The 2461 gives you true wood burning options!!!

Probably not the best way to introduce yourself and say "howdy" to the folks here . . . but hey . . . it is what it is . . . right.

I'm happy to hear you like your VC stove . . . and quite honestly it sounds like it's working out for you . . . and doing quite well with your home . . . and truthfully there are a few folks here who agree 100% with you.

That said, I would argue that there are many, many stoves built today that can do as good,of heating a home with long burn times, even temps and work in a wide variety of climates . . . as for burning different types of wood . . . to me that is a non-issue . . . as long as the wood is seasoned it goes into my stove . . . I don't discriminate . . . and many other folks here feel the same way. Now as to beauty . . . well . . . that's one of those "eye of the beholder" deals . . . I think the Blaze Kings are butt ugly . . . but some of the BK owners think they look fantastic . . . (probably the same folks who think pugs are cute dogs ;) ).

I think the issue many folks have with some VC products is a) the quality of workmanship compared to similar stoves which do not have the same issues, b) the cost of expensive replacement parts and c) the issue of the company changing hands many times and not honoring warrantees . . . issues which hopefully will be resolved as the VC line was once highly respected and regarded . . . and it can be so again. In the meantime it would do newbies a disservice to not point out potential issues with an expensive product . . . that said . . . the best way in my own opinion is to offer the facts and let folks who have had experiences (both good and bad) comment on particular stoves (such as you have done) and then let the buyer decide what is important . . . and what to believe.

On another note . . . welcome to the forum . . . and please continue to contribute . . . all who burn are welcome here.

P.S. I would be even more impressed if it was your wife running around naked instead of the 5 year old. ;) :) I know my wife is notoriously cold-blooded when it comes to the winter cold.

I must have missed something over the last four years. The bad opinions of the Dutchwest stoves I have seen here are of the Everburn non cat stoves. People with the cat stoves seem to like them just fine. As to the issues with warranty and parts prices, they are what they are and that is a manufacturer issue. Not something originating here.

Glad you like your stove. Take a blood pressure pill and enjoy the forum. :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
My favorite stove.

LOL!!

My two woodstoves came with my house, so they're all I have to talk about, but the VC Defiant from 1980 is definitely the nicer thanks to the thermostatic air control. The Jotul 8 downstairs has stove glass which makes it much more pleasant to watch but its position within the house makes it useless for heating the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.