BEST STOVE OPERATED? Early results! Anyone else?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rally like my 602cb ya i know,too small,but...it heats my 900 foot open area on the first floor just fine,takes up little space and just seems to blend into the decor(as opposed to being the decor) and eveybody who sees it loves the look(how can a tiny stove like that keep you so warm)
i guess its just such a different look as compared to the many smoke dragons around hear still in use

I know my stove has a small firebox, and short burn times, and Napoleon are notoriously hard to get a hold of, but this is the only stove I have, and I love it. I got a great deal on the install. I have a small house and I'm gonna work this thing the best I can to heat it.

PIX said:
I own a Vermont Castings Dutchwest wood burning stove currently. I am tired of all the BS talk about the 2461. If anyone can find me a stove that can burn the variance of wood, burning conditions, or beauty that this stove provides you can kiss my rear. This stove takes it all and even though you have to replace the Cat every 3-4 years it's still a heat keeper. The people I grew up around (woodsmen) swear by it's ability to adjust to all climactic conditions hence the air controls. When an elder firewood burner of oak, pine, hickory,ash, black locust, cedar, red oak, and elm tells me that it's the most versatile stove out there... I'd listen! Backpuffing, loose gaskets, black glass, blah, blah, blah wear me thin. This is a stove that really produces. We can all talk about burn times, but this one always has 60-75 degree heat offerings on overnight burns. It'll keep our 2483 sf house at 72* all winter, heck my 5 year old runs naked around our 1919 2story craftsman. Sorry for the tear, just tired of hearing all these folks on here that want to throw a match in there and think that's all they have to do!!! If you want heat, ya gotta work at it, and if ya want the most efficiency out of your stove, you gotta work at it. The 2461 gives you true wood burning options!!!

I hear you and agree.. Search the posts and you'll find some [posts similar to yours.. Welcome to the forum!

Ray

Wow, it's been a while for me. Glad to see my threads still generating exchanges. I have yet to try my DW in January! But one thing's for sure: it will have the magic heat on top of it! Sorry to say for those non believers. I tried the stove without it late last season and wasted a lot of heat!

I miss this forum.

Ray, BB, FFJake, always nice to hear your opinion. Welcome aboard Pix. I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do. Blimp, as I mentioned the MH will be connected and thanks for the warning! It throws a lot of heat in the mix! My old stove produced far more heat even without the MH (due to the extremely large heat exchanger.) But the burn times were about half as long. The DW takes a long time to really heat up. But I won't have to worry about starting it up everyday so I can consider it a more efficient appliance. Overall it creates more heat with the same amount of wood and is more continuous. Again, I still have to try it in January! But that is still a long time from now. Enjoy the rest of the summer! See you soon. We ARE less than two months from the first fire!!! :vampire:

The Best Stove operated for me is my brothers Jotul 350, I dont think its sold in the US or Canada.
It burns cleanly 24/7.
I m very happy with my Jotul 118, its also on all winter without a re-kindle and heats the whole house apart from an extention (where we have a 602).

There are a lot of stoves you people have that I ve never heard of.
The VC used to be sold in Europe, but we dont see them now, why is that?
I remember about 10 years ago, our local dealer told me that they had very poor back up service for spares and enquiries etc

Best stove for me, why my old Nashua, the thing pretty much ran itself and it was the only source of heat for 31 years, now I have a PE Summit and have to start all over again but I am liking it, if it does not do the job I will not be happy though.

I've owned three stoves over the last 30 years and the present Dutchwest 2461 is the best so far. I say .....So far.... because there is room for improvements, like automatic draft control, occasional back puffing, earlier cat light off, cleaner front glass, a more visible cat thermometer. Stove manufacturers have made improvementss but about the speed that a glacier moves.

VCBurner said:
Wow, it's been a while for me. Glad to see my threads still generating exchanges. I have yet to try my DW in January! But one thing's for sure: it will have the magic heat on top of it! Sorry to say for those non believers. I tried the stove without it late last season and wasted a lot of heat!

I miss this forum.

Ray, BB, FFJake, always nice to hear your opinion. Welcome aboard Pix. I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do. Blimp, as I mentioned the MH will be connected and thanks for the warning! It throws a lot of heat in the mix! My old stove produced far more heat even without the MH (due to the extremely large heat exchanger.) But the burn times were about half as long. The DW takes a long time to really heat up. But I won't have to worry about starting it up everyday so I can consider it a more efficient appliance. Overall it creates more heat with the same amount of wood and is more continuous. Again, I still have to try it in January! But that is still a long time from now. Enjoy the rest of the summer! See you soon. We ARE less than two months from the first fire!!! :vampire:

Looking forward to hearing how your stove performs with dry seasoned wood.. The heating season isn't truly on until I read this forum every day! This summer has been great here with lots of warm weather and little rain..

Ray

VCBurner said:

I miss this forum.

Ive been told the MH wont work much when installed on an EPA stove but I do think it'll control the stove from overfiring. I'm also interested on how the chimney deposits might be affected.

PIX said:
I own a Vermont Castings Dutchwest wood burning stove currently. I am tired of all the BS talk about the 2461. If anyone can find me a stove that can burn the variance of wood, burning conditions, or beauty that this stove provides you can kiss my rear. This stove takes it all and even though you have to replace the Cat every 3-4 years it's still a heat keeper. The people I grew up around (woodsmen) swear by it's ability to adjust to all climactic conditions hence the air controls. When an elder firewood burner of oak, pine, hickory,ash, black locust, cedar, red oak, and elm tells me that it's the most versatile stove out there... I'd listen! Backpuffing, loose gaskets, black glass, blah, blah, blah wear me thin. This is a stove that really produces. We can all talk about burn times, but this one always has 60-75 degree heat offerings on overnight burns. It'll keep our 2483 sf house at 72* all winter, heck my 5 year old runs naked around our 1919 2story craftsman. Sorry for the tear, just tired of hearing all these folks on here that want to throw a match in there and think that's all they have to do!!! If you want heat, ya gotta work at it, and if ya want the most efficiency out of your stove, you gotta work at it. The 2461 gives you true wood burning options!!!

But what about the stove ? :lol:
You gotta express yourself more.

I burned a VC Dutchwest for two seasons. I miss the side loading, the functional ash pan, and the pretty appearance. I will never buy another though, as I had problems with the secondary air feed, I had issues with backpuffing, I disliked replacing the big gasket on top of the stove every time I checked the cat, and that fragile ceramic air diverting thing is ridiculous.

My BK Princess burns longer per amount of wood, has fewer moving parts, and has a much more easily replaced (and WAY larger) cat. I have used half a dozen stoves, and nothing has been even close to the BK in terms of burn time and ease of use.

AngusMac said:
The Best Stove operated for me is my brothers Jotul 350, I dont think its sold in the US or Canada.
It burns cleanly 24/7.
I m very happy with my Jotul 118, its also on all winter without a re-kindle and heats the whole house apart from an extention (where we have a 602).

There are a lot of stoves you people have that I ve never heard of.
The VC used to be sold in Europe, but we dont see them now, why is that?
I remember about 10 years ago, our local dealer told me that they had very poor back up service for spares and enquiries etc
I have always liked the Jotuls. I was told that the cost of shipping the heavy stoves over seas is too high. This is the reason why some stove makers don't export. Thanks for the comment Mac!

Patapsco Mike said:
I burned a VC Dutchwest for two seasons. I miss the side loading, the functional ash pan, and the pretty appearance. I will never buy another though, as I had problems with the secondary air feed, I had issues with backpuffing, I disliked replacing the big gasket on top of the stove every time I checked the cat, and that fragile ceramic air diverting thing is ridiculous.

My BK Princess burns longer per amount of wood, has fewer moving parts, and has a much more easily replaced (and WAY larger) cat. I have used half a dozen stoves, and nothing has been even close to the BK in terms of burn time and ease of use.

I'm with you Mike. May be a bit understated though.

Serves two purposes and you never run out of fuel.

Attachments

• toilet_stove.jpg
    toilet_stove.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 264
Status
Not open for further replies.