wood drying cube

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainstation

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2009
N.Ont.
Do you know those 900 litre/300 gallon water/liquid containers with the aluminum tube frames? I am thinking of just trying to dry some hardwood splits for next year in it. I would drill literally dozens on decent holes in the wind side/West afternoon sun side. The North South side would have similiar holes. The East side would the door/opening side with either a copper pipe tarp curtain or a piece of carpet. I would mount it on a decent pallet as to move it with the bucket forks when needed.
I have an extra water cube for irrigation but am thinking as this would add a Solar/Waterproof component to the wood drying experiment. You could build some skiis on the pallet frame and move it with a 4 wheeler easily. Plus it's a great job for the kid(s) to refill the wood cube every Sat.

mainstation said:
You could build some skiis on the pallet frame and move it with a 4 wheeler easily...
Maybe some wind drying action that way too if they go fast enough. %-P

’bert said:
how about removing the plastic tank altogether and just use the aluminum frame?

-the plastic is for the Solar/greenhouse effect/results.
-the skiis could be T bar steel, I have a buddy who is a Millwright and has a bender.

I've seen a few experiments with plastic etc for solar gain that say that what you gain in temp effect, you lose in air movement so it's normally about the same. I have thought that a vent at the top, with a black sheet metal inlet at the bottom to preheat the air might get some more temp AND air movement. How big the inlet preheater must be and the vent at the top would require some empirical tries to figger out.

Status
Not open for further replies.