Wood drying question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I purchased a load of slab wood. Pictures can be found here https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/19077/ I realize it's only been stacked for two weeks, but I also got a load of Silver Maple about the same time. I cut and split the Maple and its already dry on the outside, cracking on the ends, and showing signs of turning grey. The slab wood hasn't cracked, changed color, and it still feels wet. They aren't stacked in the same place, but they both get good sun and wind.

I'm concerned that the slab wood stacked alot tighter and thats hindering the drying of it. Will this slab wood dry in 6 months? It's stacked on pallets two rows wide and about 5 feet high.

You answered your own question. Restack the slab more loosely and with more air space for drying.

I think your stacking looks fine as is. How else would you stack it? Could be the variety of wood, placement of the different stacks on your property and the way the breeze/sun hits the different locations. I think you'll be fine come winter. Nice wood by the way, I'd get more if you can for that price.

I would not restack it either.
The wood is already cut pretty thin so you should be good to go by winter.

karl imo your wood looks fine I followed the link and looked at all the pics. Slab wood is notorious for burning hot because of the way it's C&S;'s....don't worry about it...you have another 3 mos of seasoning down there in WVA. Trust me sometime in Jan you be posting a topic here worrying about over firing your stove.

karl...it's all good, go golfing, relax.

I agree, leave it and let it dry like it is. The thin stuff dries well.

Karl: you can`t stack slabs like regular firewood. It won`t dry for a long, long time. Been there, done that. slab on slab allows no air to circulate. it is too uniform or in other words flat and compact to allow for the air to dry it. So, either leave it in a pile under tarps, or stack it with using twigs or something in each row to allow the air to circulate to help it dry.

I learned this the hard way with even the western red cedar that I buy 5 cords of every few years. It simply will not dry if you stack it compactly. Also, keep it out of the rain, this stuff seems to soak up water much faster than regular firewood. and then you have to start all over again with the drying process/great stuff as a fire-starter and for shoulder season burning, but you have to get it to dry and keep it dry.

I'm going to get another load of the stuff in a week or so. I'll stack like a log cabin with gaps between it. It thought this stuff dried out quickly. The lumber mill said people don't start buying it until August and September, so either they are burning it wet or it does dry fast. The lady told me one guy buys 30 loads of it. He heats an industrial building with it. I'm sure nobody stacks that much wood.

From the pics it doesn't look quite like a full sun location, so that doesn't help.

Don't worry about the slab wood drying - it will be just fine come winter. I've used it a couple of years now and is a great heat source, and cheaper than cord wood. I found that stacking it with the bark side up helps it dry a bit faster, and you seem to have done that just fine.

Slab wood does stack tightly and doesn't let the air flow through like regular splits. I find it's not as dry in the middle of the rack as the top rows. But I was lucky and mine blew over and I mixed it up with splits to allow more air flow. If properly stacked it does dry fast.

Stack looks loose enough to me.
What more would you do ? Each piece on a clothsline with chip clips ?

I wouldn't be comparing slab oak with maple. Go get a fresh cut piece of oak to put up with it to compare relative drying.

All stcked like that is a lot better than the random length oak slabs I used to get and stayed in a pile until I cut them to fit in the stove in February. :)

Oak takes a long time to dry. Even thin slabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.