Wood Electric Combo?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lor

Oct 1, 2013
Hi Everyone, I am new to this site.
I have been doing some research here and reading lots of posts. I am interested in heating my new home with wood and electric heat. Skipper (pop) seems to think that I should have a kerr wood furnace with electric baseboards, but I seem to be leaning more towards a combo furnace (not an addon). In my area the only combo I can easily purchase is the PSG 2000 wood/electric. I have been looking but can not seem to find much on this particilular models just the PSG caddy, but that is unavailable in my area. Has anyone here ever owned this PSG2000 furnace, What are you experiences with it? What would you advise for secondary heat, the baseboards or the furnace?
note that electric heat will only be used when we are not home (to keep pipes from freezing). We live in Newfoundland, Canada, fairly cold winters.

Pros Cons
Baseboards:
can direct heat to certain room Bulky wall space taken up
contral each room individually Dangerous if objects are place in front
quickly heats room

Furnace:
heats whole house lose heat through duck work
out of the way (not bulky on walls) heats whole house

I really do not know much about the furnace what are you thoughts, idea, opinions, or experiences?

Did not come out as I wanted it to.... Pros vs cons

Pros
Baseboards:
can direct heat to certain room
contral each room individually
quickly heats room

Furnace:
heats whole house
out of the way (not bulky on walls)

Cons
Baseboards
Bulky wall space taken up
Dangerous if objects are place in front

Furnace
lose heat through duck work
heats whole house

Look seriously into super high efficiency min-split heat pumps by Fujitsu an Mitsubishi.

I would love to but I do not think it is something I could afford to be honest, and wood would be the main source of heat, and through the research I have been doing it a green source of heat, and I am comfortable burning wood in my home. Me and my spouse work seasonally in the summer/fall thus we have time to cut it in the winter, and we enjoy this quality outdoor time we spend together with our families. We have burned wood since we can remember, living in a smalll community it is the simplist way to go, taking into consideration ourlifestyles. Thank youthough I do appreiciate the advice, however I am still inticed about wood heat, and think that electric may be a good secondary heat source any other ideas?

Has anyone ever owned a PSG 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.