Wood flooring too hot ! Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmos

Hearth Supporter
Hi all,
Question is how do you pallet burners stack the wood inside the stove and keep the temps under control. A friend told me stop by his Dads flooring shop. They had a ton of scrap wood, mainly drops from their flooring jobs. All the wood is 1" thick, by 4" wide. Some was 5" wide. The drops all vary in length, from "4 to some I have to cut at 17". However, most if it is approx 4"-6" in length. I have a full size truck bed full of it! Half is Hickory, the rest is walnut, and oak. Solid wood. Here is my problem,
Tonight I made a Stack of 6" and 4" for the back, and two 4" stack for the front.
The stove took off to 500, i closed everything, and it kept going to 650. I was getting nervious it wasn't going to stop! I only put in a medium load of wood. It stayed at 650 for an hour ! I think because there is so much more surface area with the small pieces that it burns super hot.
So is there a better way to stack this stuff to control it better? Or just load smaller loads?
Thanks

Your really gonna have to monitor the amount of wood you put in a one time. Super dry flooring scraps is not going to be meant for extended or overnight type burns. Use this wood in small doses to get a quick hot fire, you could use it when somebody is home to tend to the stove and constantly add a little at a time. The other option is to mix it with less dry wood.

gizmos said:
Hi all,
Question is how do you pallet burners stack the wood inside the stove and keep the temps under control. A friend told me stop by his Dads flooring shop. They had a ton of scrap wood, mainly drops from their flooring jobs. All the wood is 1" thick, by 4" wide. Some was 5" wide. The drops all vary in length, from "4 to some I have to cut at 17". However, most if it is approx 4"-6" in length. I have a full size truck bed full of it! Half is Hickory, the rest is walnut, and oak. Solid wood. Here is my problem,
Tonight I made a Stack of 6" and 4" for the back, and two 4" stack for the front.
The stove took off to 500, i closed everything, and it kept going to 650. I was getting nervious it wasn't going to stop! I only put in a medium load of wood. It stayed at 650 for an hour ! I think because there is so much more surface area with the small pieces that it burns super hot.
So is there a better way to stack this stuff to control it better? Or just load smaller loads?
Thanks

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Sounds like a good burn. I was happy when I could get the F3CB to burn like that.

I like flooring scraps and keep a stash of them on hand. Consider yourself quite lucky.

NATE379 said:
What is the issue with the stove at 650*?

Well.. depends on the stove..

But he should be fine.

;-)

stack a few pieces face to face that are similar in size. like a stack of playing cards. this should cut down on the surface area and make your stove think its a log. and definately use it sparingly,stuff is like rocket fuel. hope this helps.

I think you are OK on the temps. You may want to play around with how much to put in there just to limit the temperatures.

I've got a goodly amount of wood that is to long to fit into my Woodstock Keystone - cut it before I decided on the stove. I try to use 16 inch splits and some of my wood is 20ish inches or longer, so I cut the ends off and that gives me a lot of little pieces to burn - not unlike what you are talking about. The stuff burns hot and fast! I use it for weekend days when I am at home. It burns, gives off heat and I'll take what I can get!

Nice stove you've got - good luck,
Bill

Each stove manufacturer recommends specific optimum operating temps for their stove. Check your manual to see what your manufacturer recommends.

I run a Jotul 500 (Oslo) - recommended operating temps for my stove is 400-600.

I'd stack them face to face but still I'd expect that you cannot put a full load of the stuff in the stove all at once.

Ok, I'll just have to mix this stuff in with the splits. I have it up to 600 once or twice a day. What bothered me with this wood was, I shut it down at 500 and it went to 650.! I've always had good control over the stove, and never worried about loosing it. So what to do if you have a runaway stove??? If it went towards 700, I was going to stuff tin foil in the secondary air intake in the back?? What other options are there ?
Thanks

Don't panic if it gets to 700F. It has a small firebox and won't stay there for more than 15-20 minutes. I've had the same stove up to around 750 a few times with no incident other than burning some dust off and getting that hot stove smell. 650 was my target cruising temp which I could do with madrona. Harder to do with softwood.

How about a vote for mixing this in w/ some other wood?

I know I could see myself putting one of the "big boy" pieces of wood that I have around (stuff that was so damn miserable I just can't get it split any further and it's WIDE) in w/ a bunch of that stuff to try to get a good hot burn going to get big and nasty rumbling along w/out trying to dig though my wood pile for little stuff to fit next to the big guy.

pen

I did something similar earlier this year with scrap pine from the shop. Ran up to about 750. I put a fan on it and the temp came down to 600 in less than a minute.
It'll be used ONLY as kindling from now on.
Oh, and I thought maybe you forgot your hearth protection and put the stove on the wood floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.