Wood for furniture benches etc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodhog73

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2016
Somewhere cold !
Ok so not a firewood question but still a wood question.

Not to long ago I came across some box elder which I split and it's drying in my stacks.

I've got more of it on my property. I love those red streaks in the center. I've seen online some beautiful benches and stuff made from it and when dried and finished with whatever sealer is used it's beautiful.

I'm thinking of taking a box elder down and rip cutting a slab piece to use for a bench. Any tips on what to use for sealer ? To make it shine ? Anyone ever done this ? Never done it before.

I'm a fan of flamed boxelder also, the best examples can be stunning.

I have a live edge table with a boxelder top, has some red accents and is curly. My table has a two part catalyzed lacquer finish, typical of a good furniture grade coating. If you intend to leave it outside, as with all coatings, it will eventually peel no matter what coating you choose. The other thing to be aware of is the red streaks in boxelder are UV sensitive and will fade and become discolored quite quickly if exposed to direct sunlight.

i would choose the finish based on how much exposure it will be getting being outside. Don't stain it. Medium to low gloss would be my choice.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That is a gorgeous table. Color me jealous...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.