Wood furnace duct work and a pellet furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JustinTyme01

Mar 27, 2018
Pa
Since I didn’t get any answers on my other thread i wanted to ask a different question...

Can I run a pellet furnace into the same duct work I use for a wood furnace and could i run them both at the same time?

I currently have a Vogelzang 1500 and was considering buying a US stove model 8500.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would like to know that answer.

I wasn’t talking about the cminey. I was talking about duct work you hook up to the unit which blows hot air throughout your house.

You can't vent any two things on the same flue because of the possibility of one appliance venting through the second appliance.

You face a similar problem with forced hot air, although with less possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. The hot air can still vent through the other appliance, though there are setups that allow you to do it.

I’m not asking about venting two furnaces out of the same flue. Both units would have their own chimmney on opposite sides of the house. I have duct work ran from a wood furnace to force hot air to my first floor. I’d like to add a pellet furnace with its own chimney. Can i hook it up to existing duct work from my wood furnace to force hot air to the first floor using both furnaces and have the exhaust from the furnaces vented outside with their own chimney.

I’m not asking about venting two furnaces out of the same flue. Both units would have their own chimmney on opposite sides of the house. I have duct work ran from a wood furnace to force hot air to my first floor. I’d like to add a pellet furnace with its own chimney. Can i hook it up to existing duct work from my wood furnace to force hot air to the first floor using both furnaces and have the exhaust from the furnaces vented outside with their own chimney.
Read the furnace manuals that is where you will find the answers. In most cases it is acceptable though.