1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

wood furnace/not enough heat

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by samhell, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Frozen Canuck

Frozen Canuck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North central Alberta, Canada
    In your situation in Newfoundland a PSG Caddy will likely be the easiest to find as well as a dealer network, qualified installer, service tech etc. All of which are important for a heating unit that you may have a 20 - 30 year relationship with. The wood consumption in your above post is excessive to say the least unless you are heating 10k sq ft or more & poorly insulated at that. Seems we have very few happy owners of combo units, likely due to both designs being compromised. Myself I would have a dedicated wood unit & a separate unit for backup fossil. Buy the best quality that my budget could afford in both cases.
    STIHLY DAN likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wardk

wardk Member

Loc:
    B.C. Canada
    I had a wood electric furnace and I think Gasifire's question is on the money. You have to supply external make up air to that furnace or it will suck cold air in from every nook and cranny of your house.
  3. Downeast Farmer

Downeast Farmer New Member

4. Downeast Farmer

Downeast Farmer New Member

I have a Newmac wood furnace and it acts just like Fred says his did. I'd sure like to try out your modification, but I can't quite visualize it. Any chance you could make a diagram or send a picture?
    Stone house likes this.
  5. georgia hillbilly

georgia hillbilly New Member

6. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    I think your definition of suffering may be a bit subjective. Most on here have all of the "suffering" you refer to, and our wood consumption is quite low compaired to what we had previously.

TS
    lampmfg likes this.
  7. Mark Ellsworth

Mark Ellsworth New Member

Loc:
    Newfoundland
    I have a fire in at the minute but I will get some pictures for you tomorrow. Basically it is a piece of 2" by 1/8 flat bar 10 inches long which covers the opening on either side of the back of the firebox which causes the heat to rise and heat the plenum. I have another piece of larger steel welded on a 90 degree angle to fit in the slots on both sides of the furnace to keep the plates in place. I have also found with this furnace you can't shovel all of the ashes out of the firebox or you will not get any heat either. I keep the ashes just a little below the door or flush with the door. If you go below this the only heat you will get is warming your hands with the door open.
  8. Mark Ellsworth

Loc:
    Newfoundland
    Sorry about the quality I have been burning briquettes the last week or so and they are a bit ashy. image.jpg
  9. Stone house

Stone house New Member

Loc:
    Fergus

I am finding the same issue ... Burning through a ton of wood and oil
    Costs a fortune .... Considering switching out if we can not get this furance functioning well - help !
  10. MacYoung

MacYoung New Member

Loc:
    Southwestern Ontario
    Hi Stone house..... I'm also disappointed with the lack of heat when we are burning wood in our Newmac wood/oil combo. Yesterday we were warm and toasty when the temperature was just below 0 C, but we are burning oil tonight because it is -20 C. Thank goodness we don't have many cold nights like this!

Mark's advice about leaving more ashes in the firebox seems to be helping compared to previous seasons. Mark's modification pictured above looks very interesting... I'm tempted to try that too. I run the inducer fan all the time to improve the combustion, but it likely hurts our wood consumption. I'd love to hear more suggestions to improve the performance of this furnace.
  11. Stone house

Stone house New Member

Loc:
    Fergus
    I actually called the newmac rep and had a long chat with him... Long story our model is an old beast but he did have w few suggestions and I think they helped
    Load wood towards the back and pull ashes to the front near the door
    Also recommended a 1 inch steel plate with holes drilled in to burn on ( as we have the grates ) and we were losing our hot coals down to the bottom

Run inducer fan and drop the damper down
    Make sure the fan is on automatic as we had It running constantly on manual
    Mode and half the time it was blowing cool air as it was not allowing the heat to
    Build
    We have been in a blizzard watch here today minus 20
    And still burning wood in
    Our crazy old stone fahouse
    I am sure we will need oil on tomorrow
    But this seems to have helped !
    Good luck and stay warm
  12. Mark Ellsworth

Loc:
    Newfoundland
    Try out the plates in the back of the furnace. I guarantee you will find a major difference. I open the draft on the furnace until the wood gets burning really well and then shut off the draft completely. I have not had any luck running the fan all I found it did was blow the heat out of the furnace and reduce temperatures. Without the plates I would have to run the draft a little less than half just to get the plenum hot enough for the blower to kick in and man did it eat wood. Grab a temperature gun and read the temperature on the duct work just above the firebox. I was only getting 70 degrees before I added the plates. The reason I mentioned leaving the firebox full of ash is the heat is being sucked out of the furnace. The closer the fire is to the top of the furnace the more it will heat the furnace and the less time it has to be sucked out before it has a chance to heat. I have been thinking about trying a plate across the top of the firebox near the top of the furnace to force the hot air forward and up to the top of the furnace before exiting. This is how all of the other newmac's are designed. My grandfather has the add on and it has a plate across the top of the firebox and halfway to the front and with just a few pieces of wood it will blow heat for hours. I think the furnace will work extremely well it just has some major design flaws, but with a few small add ons it will work well. The plates are very cheap to make and only lay in place. So there are no modifications.if you have any questions drop me a line.
  13. Owen1508

Owen1508 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NY native
    Basically you added baffles to the unit. i know some of Newmac other multi fuel units have them in it. I am suprised this unit did not. Thanks for the info.