Wood furnace only putting out warm air?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lookingforanswers15

Dec 7, 2019
Ny
I will start of by saying I am new to wood Heat but recently purchased a very gently used hitzer 82 wood/coal furnace. I have had 2 fires in it and have brought it up to good running temperature and have only received Luke warm air output from blower fan. I have talked to people I know and they have told me that I should install a stove pipe damper to keep all my heat from escaping via the chimney although my installation manual does not say to install one. Furthermore, I do not have any ductwork connected to the furnace top as I am only wanting it to heat the immediate area. I dident know if there needed to be some reduction in ductwork to created back pressure to allow the forced air more time to heat. I would great appreciate any help available. Thank you.

Are you running the furnace right? I believe on those, you establish a good deep coal bed, and once you load and the furnace is hot, you bypass the damper so the smoke goes through the base of the coal bed where it can get returned. Ductwork or not, it still should produce decent temperatures from the top. Just like all other wood burners, good seasoned wood will work the best. How tall is your chimney and what size?

Reactions: brenndatomu
I have no experience with a Hitzer...but most coal (and wood) furnaces require the draft to be controlled to a factory spec...usually using a barometric damper.
But to answer your question, yes the air needs to be slowed down over (through) the furnace...either by installing some ductwork/dampers, or maybe by putting a higher MERV filter in it...(assuming it has a filter) most furnaces have a SP (static pressure) spec in the manual...I personally don't like using SP for solid fuel furnaces, to me, going by temp rise through the furnace works fine...like if you are getting at least 30-40* temp rise (return air vs supply air) that should heat the house...that said, I would expect a coal furnace to pull off more than 30-40* temp rise

Are you running the furnace right? I believe on those, you establish a good deep coal bed, and once you load and the furnace is hot, you bypass the damper so the smoke goes through the base of the coal bed where it can get returned. Ductwork or not, it still should produce decent temperatures from the top. Just like all other wood burners, good seasoned wood will work the best. How tall is your chimney and what size?

chimney is 8” and about 18’ with a really good draft. The wood is well seasoned hardwood as well.

yes you need to add some sort of plenuim if it does not have one built in. Your air is traveling to fast to exchange the heat or slow the blower way down.