Wood furnace vs. pellet furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
When you call them to order, they are out of stock, with no ETA...I think they are gonna end up shutting down.

You'd think they'd pull it off the website then. It's not hard to do. LOL

I should place an order for 100 of them, just to f with them....however, my luck they'd all ship out tomorrow. ;lol

You'd think they'd pull it off the website then. It's not hard to do. LOL

I should place an order for 100 of them, just to f with them....however, my luck they'd all ship out tomorrow. ;lol
Yeah I think they (Yukon) are at minimum staffing...maybe just selling off inventory...hard to stay in business just selling furnaces to part of Canada...at one point they claimed to be designing a 2020 firebox, but it seems that things are just slowly drying up around there.
The topic of EHD came up here a couple months ago and I linked to the Yukon unit, someone, I don't recall who, said they were out and not making more, so I found some on another site, but turns out it was someone listing Yukons EHD's and they didn't actually have any inventory.
The only other EHD that I know of in recent times was made by Charmaster, (IIRC) and they have been out of business a couple years already now...

insurance company is fine with it in garage. My concern is can I or am I able to to install a add on wood furnace and or pellet furnace with the way I need to connect duct

Your old wood furnace was installed this way right? You had insurance right? Are you looking for a manufacturer that will allow the downflow or are you looking for a forum member that can show you theirs installed that way?

Start looking at the online installation manuals for Kuuma, Drolet, and the caddy for allowable installs. If you can’t find what you need then call their tech line.

The only pellet furnace that people seem to love is the Fahrenheit which is made up by you. Not terribly expensive.

Here is a link to the thread where we were talking about buying EHD, and the fact that there seems to be none to be had...so @Socratic Monologue DIY'd one...I think I recall someone doing a DIY EHD unit in the big Tundra thread too.

Your old wood furnace was installed this way right? You had insurance right? Are you looking for a manufacturer that will allow the downflow or are you looking for a forum member that can show you theirs installed that way?

Start looking at the online installation manuals for Kuuma, Drolet, and the caddy for allowable installs. If you can’t find what you need then call their tech line.

The only pellet furnace that people seem to love is the Fahrenheit which is made up by you. Not terribly expensive.

Yes my insurance company was good with my old stove hooked up that way. And yes Id love to see someone else with a setup similar to how I want to set up. Before I spend the money on a new kumma or other brand I want to see if the setup will work. With the hotblast furnace I had was such a bad experience I’m iffy about what to do next

Reactions: Highbeam
With the hotblast furnace I had was such a bad experience I’m iffy about what to do next
Your chances of being a happy camper with a Hotblast were pretty slim right out of the gate...a quality furnace will help insure better results next time. As long as you stay away from big box store furnaces (except the Drolet's, and maybe the Englander 28-4000, if you don't mind a manual furnace) you will be fine as long as you deal with the current heat trap issue there...nobody is going to sign off on that as is...most specifically forbid it. Oh, and you will definitely need truly dry wood (20% MC or under when measured internally) to burn...not just "seasoned".
The bigger problem may be actually finding a EHD to buy, unless you can get away with making one...and that will completely depend on your insurance company...some are much easier to get along with than others when it comes to wood heat...sounds like your company/agent may not be too bad either.
I switched ins. companies last year and the new one just wanted to know what the manufacturers recommended CTC's (clearance to combustibles) were and then some pics of my install...that was the end of it. Like my agent said, the underwriters just want to know the CTC's and then be able to see that I'm not obviously violating any of them...that and everything just has a proper/professional look to it...if they question anything sometimes they will request an on site inspection...that never happened for me.
Keep in mind, as of right now, the Kuuma will be your only cordwood choice after May 15th, unless others do come through with the much rumored 2020 approved models (Mainly PSG/Drolet) well, and technically the Firechief/Shelter furnace too...but you'd be better off sticking with the Hotblast than getting one of those POS.

Reactions: Case1030
@Erichomeowner
I'm just North of Green Bay on the other side of the Bay as you are. I started off with a Vogelzang Norseman which I believe is similar to a Hotblast. I struggled with it for 1 season then got rid of it and upgraded to a Drolet Tundra. The first year with the Tundra was a bit of trial and error but after that first season and some modifications, it is night and day better than the old smoke dragon! Something like a Kuuma with a glass door would be the best of everything!

Eric

@Erichomeowner
I'm just North of Green Bay on the other side of the Bay as you are. I started off with a Vogelzang Norseman which I believe is similar to a Hotblast. I struggled with it for 1 season then got rid of it and upgraded to a Drolet Tundra. The first year with the Tundra was a bit of trial and error but after that first season and some modifications, it is night and day better than the old smoke dragon! Something like a Kuuma with a glass door would be the best of everything!

Eric
Thanks for the info. And happy Easter. With this whole stupid safer at home deal and people not working I’m unable at the moment to get any info from manufacturers. I’d be really interested in either the kumma 100 or 200 but all depends on my setup as to having to run my heat duct off the furnace and down into crawl space.

With this whole stupid safer at home deal and people not working I’m unable at the moment to get any info from manufacturers.

hmmm, what Wisconsin based manufacturer are you trying to get a hold of?

Being a resident of Door County you should be glad people are being told to stay home....especially seeing your area is the hot spot weekend destination of Illinois and Chicago area people. If I were living in that area, I would NOT want anybody from out of town coming up to visit, especially from larger cities. I have friends and relatives up in the Crivitz area and they are in the same boat. They don't even want to see people coming up to their cottages from down south.

As far as your setup, you will most likely have to run it in series with your LP furnace, using your LP blower. You will need to come up with a systems control that will allow this to work.

In regards to pellets, you are better off $$-wise buying LP than you are pellets, at today's prices anyway.

hmmm, what Wisconsin based manufacturer are you trying to get a hold of?

Being a resident of Door County you should be glad people are being told to stay home....especially seeing your area is the hot spot weekend destination of Illinois and Chicago area people. If I were living in that area, I would NOT want anybody from out of town coming up to visit, especially from larger cities. I have friends and relatives up in the Crivitz area and they are in the same boat. They don't even want to see people coming up to their cottages from down south.

As far as your setup, you will most likely have to run it in series with your LP furnace, using your LP blower. You will need to come up with a systems control that will allow this to work.

In regards to pellets, you are better off $$-wise buying LP than you are pellets, at today's prices anyway.
I tried giving lamppa a call and they are under stay at home orders also. As to here in door county the stay at home has not stopped many from coming here from Chicago and bigger city’s. As much as I would like to not see a huge influx of people in the county right now it’s just not the case.

I tried giving lamppa a call and they are under stay at home orders also.

Was just teasing ya, as the whole "safer at home" thing is actually a Wisconsin branded thing. Lamppa is in MN, where they actually have a "shelter in place" order. Pretty much the same thing and just symantecs, but I was in that kinda mood last night. ;lol

As to here in door county the stay at home has not stopped many from coming here from Chicago and bigger city’s. As much as I would like to not see a huge influx of people in the county right now it’s just not the case.

Doesn't surprise me, really, but it's sad. Some people are ignorantly selfish and will do what they want to do regardless of whom they may or may not affect.

Reactions: sloeffle and andym
I just went through this thread. Eric, I see that you sent an email the other day as well. Please call Dale's cell directly at 612-860-3684, and he will try to answer any questions. Technically we are closed for business with the stay at home order in MN. It's been very challenging trying to deal with this, especially with all the inquiries we are getting now for furnaces and sauna stoves. It's almost like people have more time or something:)

We've tried to stay on top of emails, but it's hard to give answers when we don't know when we technically can get back operational. We will honor our sale price on the furnaces for anyone that inquires and wants to place an order before EPA Phase 2 goes into effect. Anyone with operational or set-up questions has been getting taken care of, so that's what we want to make sure we focused on at this time.

As far as being the only approved EPA Phase 2 furnace. Technically we know that that is not the case right now, but we hope that changes hopefully by the time that the new regulations go into effect. Needless to say, we've had tons of correspondence with the EPA on the testing process, realistically they should've hired my dad as a consultant for everything we've taught them on the wood furnace testing process.

Thanks,

Please call Dale's cell directly at 612-860-XXXX (EDITED), and he will try to answer any questions.
Let's see that kind of service from anybody else!

Last edited:

I agree, but Garrett may want to PM him the number instead of posting it on a public forum. I can only imagine the bot calls Dale will be getting at 3am. ;lol I would probably edit your reply and remove the number so if Garrett decides to remove the number from his post it won't still be shown in your quote of his post.

I would probably edit your reply and remove the number so if Garrett decides to remove the number from his post it won't still be shown in your quote of his post.
Good point...done.

Reactions: JRHAWK9
I actually had a manufacturer from Europe come visit me at my home:). There are good companies out there and those are the ones we should support.

Reactions: brenndatomu
What did he suggest for your heat trap situation there?

Reactions: Highbeam
said since I have a back up generator I’d be ok but recommends a heat dump. after talking to him about these furnaces I think I need to save my money and invest in one. Almost sounds to good to be true.
Wonder if they have a source for a EHD? (or can make one for you?)
Not too good to be true...the real deal...about the only thing they have in common with a Hotblast is that they both use wood for fuel...as @STIHLY DAN has said before, Kuuma makes wood burning so simple/reliable, its boring. ;lol

Reactions: lampmfg and andym
Almost sounds to good to be true.

It's the real deal. As long as you don't try to heat the Taj Mahal, or that of a similar heat load, you will love it. ==c

Thats because they don't have a glass door!;)

..and because it doesn't have a glass door you will actually get to live life instead of sitting down the basement staring at a heating appliance like you are Forest Gump. ;lol

You have to remember, because it's load and go, there's no need to sit down there to wait for anything. You simply throw the wood in, close the door and walk away.

live life instead of sitting down the basement staring at a heating appliance like you are Forest Gump. ;lol
You say that like its a bad thing...>>
If you have never had a stove with a window then you wont miss it...but if you have, then you will...I do.
But yeah, most of the time you just load the firebox and walk away....with a proper heat load it could/would be that way for sure...but OP may be a bit like me in that my house doesn't require mega BTU's to maintain temp, plus we have had a couple pretty mild winters since my VF100 install...anyways, since I am often running at about the bare minimum I am often scrapeing around for the last few coals to get things fired off again, so sometimes I will sit there for a few minutes to make sure the fire takes off.
OP's house being 2000 ft of new build it may not have a high heat load either...but, he is also in what is typically a little colder area though too. I would still want to discuss with Lamppa the possibility that a VF200 would be a better fit than the larger VF100...I assume the VF200 will be re-released here shortly, @lampmfg ?

Last edited:
Reactions: sloeffle and andym