1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood Gas Car

Post in 'The Green Room' started by eba1225, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. renewablejohn

renewablejohn Member

Loc:
    bolton england

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    I think the problem with "storage" as you are referring to, is that as soon as the temp drops, the wood gas begins to condense. I don't think storing it in a tank like NG/Propane will work in this case.
  3. karl

karl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Huntington, West Virginia

I looked into this last year with natural gas. The problem is with the compressor. They are expensive and they only last so many hundreds of hours before they have to be rebuilt. It was a significant cost of going with natural, probably more than the gas itself. The compressor is like 6000.00 dollars and works for 6000 hours. So a buck an hour and it would run 4-8 hours a night.

The company went bankrupt this year, because it would take 5 dollars a gallon gas to break even with the system.
  4. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    OK- when we find ourselves blocked from getting oil by German warships- we will go to it LOL.

"For our purposes".

Huh- this is from last year...
  5. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Hey Pant-free, back from Germany I take it?
  6. North of 60

North of 60 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Yukon Canada
    Jags, if you spent as much time on that gasifier as you do on this forum, I think all the worlds energy problem's would be solved.
    Now if we added BB,s time, all the problems in the world would be solved. NOW GET TO IT!!! :lol:

N of 60
  7. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just South of Portland, OR
  8. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Yeah, probably. But my time spent here is multi-tasking. I still need that paycheck. But if I were to win the lotto......
  9. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT

????!!!!

They don't let you do gasification experiments in your cubicle? What type of place is this?! Never will I work for a company such as this.
  10. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Trust me, my office has too many "experiments" going on now. :lol:
  11. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT

Bahaha,

sounds a lot like mine.
  12. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    Just as a minor historical note, the old "Stanley Steamer" from the early days of autmotive history, held the wheel-driven Land Speed Record for several years, and supposedly worked much better than the petroleum engines of it's day... Also the predecessor to the engine of the Stanley Steamer, was first used in the "Roper Cycle" - a steam powered motorcycle invented by Stanley's partner Roper, who demonstrated it running at a reported 30mph on what is now the Storrow Drive bicycle path in Boston. This was several years before Daimler did his original fossil fuel engine "motorcycle" contraption in Germany, (top speed SEVEN mph) and unlike Daimler's rather odd looking device, the Roper Cycle looked recognizably like a motorcycle. If one gets rid of the "internal combustion" part of the definition of "Motorcycle", the Roper Cycle would have been the "first motorcycle" by several years.

Unfortunately, Roper was also the first "Motorcycle Accident Fatality" - he crashed at the end of his return run. However it does not appear that this was due to a failure in the motorcycle, eyewitness reports and the post-accident investigation suggest that Roper had a heart attack shortly before the end of the run, and may well have been dead before the crash.

Gooserider
  13. rfactor

rfactor New Member

Loc:
    Fairfield, ME
  14. TreePapa

TreePapa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Calif.
    Mad Max anybody?

Although the Mad Max cars where not gasifiers, they would have fit right it, esp. in Thunderdome.

I do recall a similar movie in which the cars might have been wood-gas powered, or at least made to look like they were wood powered. But I can't recall the name or details of the film.

Peace,
    - Sequoia
  15. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    I have a very vague memory of a movie I saw back when I was a kid, of the WWII military hero genre... Our hero was an aviator shot down by the Japs over some large island (Philipines??) He lands near a semi abandoned village w/ population of a bunch of abandonned school age kids and one (sexy of course) white missionary woman / love interest that must be transported several hundred miles over mountains and jungle terrain and some water to get back to US forces... He did a McGiver and made a wood gasifier to power this old yellow schoolbus w/ dried coconut husks and went off trekking with bus full of kids, love interest, etc. - w/ one or two kids sitting on roof of bus periodically tossing coconut hulls into the gas generator... Much melodrama, only part really memorable was when he looses brakes on a steep curvy downhill and has valiant struggle to maintain control of bus... Little kid decides this is fun and starts making siren noises, then when they stop at bottom of hill, and our hero is collapsing over steering wheel in relief, tells him "That fun soldier, lets do again!"... :lol:

Gooserider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.