Wood heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nmaho

Jan 15, 2014
Ma
As of now I am stocking up wood for next year, right now we heat with oil and keep,the house at 62degrees. It is well insulated but most of the time we wear sweatshirts. When we start to burn next year does it take a while to get used to the heat it most likely will go up at least 10 degrees.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Gee wiz, 62 is as cold as it gets in here on a deep sub zero morning before I get the fire going again. Go with the wood.

60-62 is where I set the thermostats for the oil boiler . . . when it gets to this level I typically know it before even hearing the boiler kick on since that temp now feels quite cool to me.

You'll get used to the warmer temps in short order.

As of now I am stocking up wood for next year, right now we heat with oil and keep,the house at 62degrees. It is well insulated but most of the time we wear sweatshirts. When we start to burn next year does it take a while to get used to the heat it most likely will go up at least 10 degrees.

Are you asking if one must become accustomed to being warm? I'm going to give an unequivocal "no." No it does not take a little while to get used to being warm.

What you need to get used to is all the work involved in feeding the stove/insert, truely seasoned wood. You need at least 3 cords now, of (non oak) hardwoods for next year. If your going to scrounge most of your supply you need to also start that and not stop for the next 2-3 yrs.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yup, it'll take some time getting accustomed to the physical work involved... bringing in firewood, taking out and disposing of ashes, feeding the burner when it needs it and so forth. With firewood, everything's done by hand.

You may find that some dust accumulates in the house when burning wood. We've tried to minimize it but there's still a little dust from moving ashes.

Reactions: Lumber-Jack
I just did the same thing, get wood year one, stove year two. I installed the stove last Saturday took the family about 30 min to like warm and 72 :)...

The past few houses I live at were kept at 66 in the winter do to cheap roommates, and my room was always colder. My gf's parents always kept her house in the mid 60s as well. So when my house heats up above 70 we're starting to get uncomfortably warm so I keep it around 69-70 and I'm normally fine in a t-shirt and running shorts and she's in sweatpants and a sweater (which she'd wear no matter the temperature). I guess we're both just cold natured because if my house reaches 73 I'm starting to open window to cool it down!

I absolutely dread going to my parents in the winter, they heat with wood and keep the living room at around 80!

Burning wood doesn't automatically move you to the hot seat. Your burner needs to be matched to your space(s) and heat load.

So what will you be burning all that wood in - and what's your house like?

It will make you more sensitive to the cold outside right quick.

My wife got used to it real quick any thing below 70 is cold

We've been burning wood for just over five years and we still don't like the house too warm. Mid 70s in the living room (stove room), lower 70s in the hall, kitchen and dining room, upper 60s in the bedrooms is ideal. We could have it a lot warmer if we wanted, but anything above that and we're opening windows.

I will say though, the colder it is outside the warmer I like the house.

You're going to love the transition to wood heat.

The heat is the not issue. The heat is great. You're house will be 75. It will feel so good when coming in from shoveling. You will love it. What takes a bit getting use to is the dry air in the house. You will get use to it quickly. You can also just run a humidifier.

Got up a 3:00 AM because I'm jetlagged from a trip to the Middle East. The PH was burning wonderfully and it was 79 in the kitchen and in the 20's outside. I wondered why it took me 10 years to put a woodstove in the house. I can assure you, you'll love the new found warmth as well as not having to pay to keep your house warm!

nmaho, first I wish to congratulate you on stocking up wood now before it is needed. Most miss that point.

Does it take long to get used to is. Is the Pope Catholic? You will simply fall in love with it very fast.

As for those who say they don't like it warm, I usually find these are the same people that want it hot in the summer months. As for me and my house, we will keep it warm and that usually means around 80 degrees. In addition, that has no effect on how you feel when you go outdoors. Your bare skin gets accustomed to the cold even if you live in a warm house.

Status
Not open for further replies.