Wood heating to be banned in New York state

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mark cline

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2012
Cattaraugus, NY

NO MORE HEATING WITH FIREWOOD IN NEW YORK?​

Clay ModenPublished: December 29, 2021
The days of having your home heated with a wood furnace may be going away in New York State. There's a pending law in New York that will begin to outlaw heating devices that create carbon emissions.
This bill known as the New York State Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act was signed in 2019 and will start to have a big impact in 2022.
Sections 2 and 3 of the bill would modify the Environmental Conservation Law to establish the New York state climate action council, and green-house gas emissions limits and reporting requirements, and provisions to address potential impacts on disadvantaged communities.

According to the bill, this portion of the law will go in to effect as of October.
The bill would take effect on the same date as a chapter of the law of 2019 relating to a permanent environmental justice advisory group as proposed except that the community air monitoring program required by section 2 of the act shall take effect on October 1, 2022.
Similar to the reasons there won't be any gas ATV's available in New York State, this new law aims to end the damage to the environment that is caused by outdoor boilers/wood-burning furnaces.
In New York City, new buildings won't be hooked up to gas for heating or cooking.

Read More: No More Heating With Firewood In New York? | https://wyrk.com/heating-with-firewood-in-new-york/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

NO MORE HEATING WITH FIREWOOD IN NEW YORK?​

Clay ModenPublished: December 29, 2021
The days of having your home heated with a wood furnace may be going away in New York State. There's a pending law in New York that will begin to outlaw heating devices that create carbon emissions.
This bill known as the New York State Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act was signed in 2019 and will start to have a big impact in 2022.

According to the bill, this portion of the law will go in to effect as of October.

Similar to the reasons there won't be any gas ATV's available in New York State, this new law aims to end the damage to the environment that is caused by outdoor boilers/wood-burning furnaces.
In New York City, new buildings won't be hooked up to gas for heating or cooking.

Read More: No More Heating With Firewood In New York? | https://wyrk.com/heating-with-firewood-in-new-york/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral
As I said in your other post can you provide a link to the actual bill to go with this clearly biased piece?

I just looked at the bill. I would post a link to it but I'm not great on a computer and frankly it's probably a waste of time to look at. My take from it after a quick look is that it's a long term goal, nothing in the near future. Very vague on specifics.(Time frame, emission standards , ect, ect....) It's a bill that was drafted under the Cuomo administration in 2019 and later shelved. At this point it's probably more or less a piece of paper for the politicians to get their name on to show us good folks here in N.Y that they are concerned with our health. I'm going to continue to keep my wood supply 3 years ahead!;lol

Last edited:
Well it's good to know Betteridge's Law of Headlines still holds in this particular case. Not only is it inaccurate, it seems to be unsupported by the text of the article itself, the text of the bill, and directly contradicted by the most recent draft of the climate action plan that appears to promote the expansion of wood product markets within the state. Strange... The NRDC also did a nice primer on the bill that was linked from the Wikipedia entry linked from the article that does a good job of putting the bill into easier to parse non-legalese.

I agree; I read the bill and commented in the other thread. It's nothing. (As of yet.)
I'll also keep my 3-year shed full.

Burning wood is carbon neutral
It releases the same carbon if burnt or rots,only difference is it is released quicker in a stove
But using Nat Gas or power isn't By the time they ban everything the electrical generation will be a huge polluter.
Here they have been pushing electric heat to get away from oil,but as soon as it gets cold they have to fire up a row of diesel generators to meet the load on the grid,last time i drove by they had 10 semi units with generators in a row,that was in Whitehorse.there are the same units in a few other towns as well
Makes no sence,but most of the sheeple don't know what is actually going on.

It releases the same carbon if burnt or rots,only difference is it is released quicker in a stove
But using Nat Gas or power isn't By the time they ban everything the electrical generation will be a huge polluter.
Here they have been pushing electric heat to get away from oil,but as soon as it gets cold they have to fire up a row of diesel generators to meet the load on the grid,last time i drove by they had 10 semi units with generators in a row,that was in Whitehorse.there are the same units in a few other towns as well
Wood isn't actually carbon neutral. But it's about as close as we get as a heat source. The difference is one in the processing emissions are created. And two when wood rots a large portion of the carbon ends up back in the ground not released into the atmosphere. But untill electrical generation changes allot wood is certainly much closer to neutral.

Zombie thread, might as well close it down or combine it with the other one.

Reactions: stoveliker
I can't find it anymore. And that's shame because there was more (correcting) response there. It appears it has been deleted rather than merged.

Regardless, this thread is a candidate for closing as it just isn't consistent with the bill it pertains to report on

Reactions: bholler and woodey
It's draconian that they would even consider bannning modern EPA approved woodstoves.
The article says they are not talking about it.

If they are talking about it now, they will be implementing it in the future. They will not stop.
They aren't talking about it that's the whole point. Did you read the bill?

Reactions: SpaceBus
It's draconian that they would even consider bannning modern EPA approved woodstoves.
The article says they are not talking about it.
When I say “they“ are talking about it, I mean enough that it in the media. And this imop is the camels nose.
in the town of Brookline , Ma the town actually tried to ban all carbon based fuels for heat. Only wanted electric. I think the courts shut it down. How absurd would it be for that to happen , you might have asked ?
envirowakows.

Last edited:
When I say “they“ are talking about it, I mean enough that it in the media. And this imop is the camels nose.
in the town of Brookline , Ma the town actually tried to ban all carbon based fuels for heat. Only wanted electric. I think the courts shut it down. How absurd would it be for that to happen , you might have asked ?
envirowakows.
But the bill doesn't say what that media claims it says. They simply made it up.

Reactions: SpaceBus and woodey

It's actually interesting that you mention the Yukon Energy powerplant in Whitehorse. I've spent a little bit of time up there. You're assertions about the portable diesel generators are correct, they are needed because the existing diesel generators, LNG generators, and the dam can't meet demand. Electric heat in the Yukon is about the most carbon intensive way to heat.

Oh, but grants are given out for residents to install solar panels, which generate electricity in the summer when the dam is already meeting capacity and spilling surplus water. Too bad that money wasn't used to increase renewable capacity during the winter.

One of my neighbors renovated an antique smaller home w/out forced air adding insulation, windows and whatnot
they didn’t want to $$$ and convert the heating system properly and used mini split heat pumps to cheap out.

When it was a steady -20F last February they got a $700 “heating “ bill, my overall utility bill including a1960’s era gas furnace was $140 for the same month

Me thinks that there are “unforeseen “ complications from banning future combustion furnaces in northern climates.

Even Texas had massive problems last winter from leaning too heavily on mini split heat pumps combined with minimal insulation

Me personally I have two furnaces and a fireplace, if one fuel source doesn’t work the other does.

Last edited:
One of my neighbors renovated an antique smaller home w/out forced air adding insulation, windows and whatnot
they didn’t want to $$$ and convert the heating system properly and used mini split heat pumps to cheap out.

When it was a steady -20F last February they got a $700 “heating “ bill, my overall utility bill including a1960’s era gas furnace was $140 for the same month

Me thinks that there are “unforeseen “ complications from banning future combustion furnaces in northern climates.

Even Texas had massive problems last winter from leaning too heavily on mini split heat pumps combined with minimal insulation

Me personally I have two furnaces and a fireplace, if one fuel source doesn’t work the other does
I believe it, aux heat is very expensive to run. My heat strips on my geothermal unit cost about $2.30 an hour to run at .16KwH. I call the red aux heat light on my thermostat the "money light". I don't even have heat strips wired into my panel because I don't want to spend that kind of money.

Like you, I have a wood burning furnace that runs when temps get cold because I'm not paying that kind of electric bill.

Reactions: 71montess
I believe it, aux heat is very expensive to run. My heat strips on my geothermal unit cost about $2.30 an hour to run at .16KwH. I call the red aux heat light on my thermostat the "money light". I don't even have heat strips wired into my panel because I don't want to spend that kind of money.

Like you, I have a wood burning furnace that runs when temps get cold because I'm not paying that kind of electric bill.
Yes but mini splits don't have heat strips.

Mini splits pretty much run non-stop all the time, they just turn up/down the compressor to match the load. As an example, it was about 6F here this morning, and I'm using about 2800w to heat the house. My cold weather unit does have a heater strip in the drain pan so the ice doesn't build up during defrost cycles in the cold weather, it only run as needed during defrosts, which happen every 2 hours, unless there's precipitation snow/ice that is getting on the outdoor coils.

Reactions: sloeffle