Wood ID and scrounge pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D8Chumley

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2013
Collegeville PA
Over the past few weekends I've been getting on some blowdowns in my woods around the house. Finally got about all the big ash ( 22" at the stump ) up from the creek bed. I couldn't count the rings at the outside as tight as they were but it was over 120 years old, borer got to it

image.jpeg

After work today I went and finished halving the ash and bringing the chunks up to my splitting area, and I wandered around to some other blowdowns. One 12" cherry was punky even though it was off the ground so I went to this guy, and surprised it was solid. I thought it was dogwood by the bark but it has the BB hole for ash in the center. Dry as a bone, smells like tobacco fresh split

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

And the stockpile minus another 1/2 cord I split and stacked already. I'm thinking close to 2 cord total

image.jpeg

So I'm figuring ash but the bark has me second guessing

[QUOTE="

So I'm figuring ash but the bark has me second guessing[/QUOTE]

Nice work. The piece of bark close-up looks like it some ash trees and some others as well, but the bark on the long shot of the looks spot on. Should be larva tails underneath the bark if its ash. Round end looks like it has the white pith bb hole as well. Ants love dead ash too! Way to go on the cherry too. Cherry rots from the outside, so unless its been down for years its normally pretty good and bone dry. :)

Reactions: D8Chumley
Thanks for the reply! The big one has the larvae trails, D holes and the bark was falling off it but the smaller one didn't have the trails. I have a lot of dogwood throughout my woods, and what's left of the bark on the smaller one resembled it. Once I cut it I was pretty sure it was ash. Wife works half a day tomorrow I might get out and do some more scrounging. I need to acquire a few more pallets for stacking on since I didn't make a whole lot of room only burning around 3 cord this winter :)

I saw ash, but what ever it is it looks solid. Looks like you had a fun day in the woods. Awesome cleanup.

One of my good friends called me yesterday, he is taking down a maple at his dad's neighbors this Sunday if everything goes as planned. He asked me to come help, of course I accepted. Not sure of size but I'll get all the wood from it minus the small stuff we will chip up. Between him, his brother and I we probably have 20 saws, should be a good day and will make an awesome pic with all the saws. All orange and white except my one Echo, I will have to dust off the 460 and put the 25" bar on it. I can't wait until Sunday

Reactions: Tom123
I was off today, and will be tomorrow due to the rain. I walked down the driveway to get the mail and noticed an ash with the bark falling off. It was maybe 10-15' up and on the back side away from the driveway so that's why I didn't notice it driving in and out. There's one 10' away from it doing the same thing. Should be an easy drop with a rope to the back of my truck ( and the help of my buddies ) onto the driveway. If it goes as planned, that is. I'm guessing 45-50' tall and maybe 18"+ on the bigger one and 16ish on the other. At this rate I'll be swimming in firewood but I'm losing a lot of my woods, being its a lot of ash

Reactions: Soundchasm
A little rain and you cant work...........really.

When I was a lad if it didnt rain you didnt drink.
And if you think thats bad......we used to get up before we whent to bed to cut wood to stay warm, when we were at school we were tought english in spanish. etc etc :):):):):):)

bob

Yup, can't do earthwork in the rain. We got over 1" overnight and today. Can't build retention basins and roads out of mud. It's ok I enjoy my rain days :) As long as it's not too many in a row. I know what's coming, 6 days a week and probably mandatory 10 hour days. It's the calm before the storm

Yup, can't do earthwork in the rain. We got over 1" overnight and today. Can't build retention basins and roads out of mud. It's ok I enjoy my rain days :) As long as it's not too many in a row. I know what's coming, 6 days a week and probably mandatory 10 hour days. It's the calm before the storm

Be safe.

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.