Wood ID app

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chas0218

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2015
Beaver Dams New York
So I stumbled across a tree I.D. app for androids. I'm no way affiliated with the app but seems to work well. I uploaded a picture of the leaf and seemed accurate same with bark.

The app is called PlantNet. Here are some screen shots. It should be a black cherry tree or peach.
Wood ID app
Wood ID app
Wood ID app

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
would be amazing if the app actually works. For us non experts it can be hard to know whats what.

would be amazing if the app actually works. For us non experts it can be hard to know whats what.
Seemed to work good with the tree I had in the front yard. The pictures above the word results are ones I took and used to search for the tree. I'll try it with some other stuff around my woods and see how accurate it is. It also tells you the likelihood of your samples being other species.

I figured it was a cherry tree but figured I would give the app a shot. Also if you don't have signal you can just snap a couple pictures and use them later from your gallery. Which is what I had to do. I don't think it will know every tree or be the most accurate but being able to cross reference a leaf and bark to narrow your results is nice. You can also add a picture of the fruit and flower if applicable.

Seemed to work good with the tree I had in the front yard. The pictures above the word results are ones I took and used to search for the tree. I'll try it with some other stuff around my woods and see how accurate it is. It also tells you the likelihood of your samples being other species.

I figured it was a cherry tree but figured I would give the app a shot. Also if you don't have signal you can just snap a couple pictures and use them later from your gallery. Which is what I had to do. I don't think it will know every tree or be the most accurate but being able to cross reference a leaf and bark to narrow your results is nice. You can also add a picture of the fruit and flower if applicable.

BTW went through your town many many years ago when I was a kid with a youth group and stayed for a week at Saranac. You have some beautiful land out there. Water was freaking cold tho. lol

Reactions: Chas0218