wood ID (cherry?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotvl

Burning Hunk
Oct 23, 2009
southern ontario
I thought I had cherry here from the red berry clusters burgandy heartwood and the sweet smell when I split it, but after seeing some of Zaps cherry picks I now have my doubts. I found one near a neighbours house and he said someone told him it wasn't cherry, any thoughts.

Attachments

• 112620111747.jpg
    112620111747.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 334
  • 112620111742.jpg
    112620111742.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 328
It doesn't look like cherry to me. Crabapple seems like a good guess. Black Cherry has black fruits, not red. All red cherries get their fruit in the early summer. Fruit at this timeo fthe year would likely be crabapple.

The smell was a sweet fruit smell and this tree had small red cherry like berries when taken down in june.

Apple, probably Crab, Most definately not Black Cherry.

My first thought was also apple.

scotvl said:
I thought I had cherry here from the red berry clusters burgandy heartwood and the sweet smell when I split it, but after seeing some of Zaps cherry picks I now have my doubts. I found one near a neighbours house and he said someone told him it wasn't cherry, any thoughts.

We burn about three cord of cherry per year, that is not cherry.

zap

zapny said:
scotvl said:

zap
It was your pictures that made me post this thread Zap, I thought I might have an ornamental cherry since it was in a front yard of a torn down house. Does apple have burgandy or red heartwood? If its apple all the better as far as btu's go it'll just have to sit another year.

scotvl said:
zapny said:
scotvl said:

zap
Does apple have burgandy or red heartwood?

Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.