Wood ID Help Please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rphurley

Feeling the Heat
Nov 5, 2008
Central/Eastern CT
The state cut some trees here in town and I was lucky enough to be the first on the scene. There was some White Oak and this other tree along side it. The wood was very heavy, but I have no idea what it is. Unfortunately there was no leaves to aid in the ID.

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 547
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 537
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 538
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 539
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 552
huh, lee me thinks is right

I was wondering if it might be Birch, but I've never seen Birch that big. It was about 20 inches or more at the base and didn't have that cool interior color that Sweet Birch tends to have. Maybe it's just because the tree is so old, the color fades with age.

I think its black birch to I burnt allot of it last couple of years good stuff , little on the stringy side.. Where's the Woodbutcher when you need him he'll know .

Tell me it smells like birch beer (minty flavor) when split and you got yourself BTU's better than Red/White oak. I just busted up some really dead standing Sweet Birch (Black Birch) 2 weeks ago and it still had some Birch Beer scent to it. Those are some good sized rounds. It seasons fairly quick and man let me tell ya.......Black birch catches real nice on a coal bed.........and I mean really nice and hot ----napalm wood-----

See pictures from Stejus and I

A really good Black Birch link----> http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/bele.html

WoodButcher

Attachments

• black birch 002.jpg
    black birch 002.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 483
  • Sweet_Birch_01.jpg
    Sweet_Birch_01.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 470
Thanks everyone for the quick response. I have some Sweet Birch on my property and it burns great. What really threw me off was the size of this damn tree. I'm glad I was there to capitalize on the find. My friend who was helping me load the truck was pressed for time, so I wasn't sure if I should focus on the Oak or the Birch. I ended up taking equal amounts of each, for a total of 3 pickups full.

CTburns said:
Thanks everyone for the quick response. I have some Sweet Birch on my property and it burns great. What really threw me off was the size of this damn tree. I'm glad I was there to capitalize on the find. My friend who was helping me load the truck was pressed for time, so I wasn't sure if I should focus on the Oak or the Birch. I ended up taking equal amounts of each, for a total of 3 pickups full.

A few weeks ago the town was trimming/clearing trees on 169...Huge ash trees....good sized Sugar maple limbs.......it was gone in seconds, I went back for scraps with my BIL's Tacoma and there were to many scroungers even then. GONE IN 60 Seconds

WoodButcher

I have some large yellow birch about that size on my property. It seems to grow large near wet areas. I cut a few medium sized ones last year and they did burn very well.

I have some large yellow birch about that size if not bigger on my property. It seems to grow large near wet areas. I cut a few medium sized ones last year and they did burn very well.

If I split it and stack it in the next few weeks, might it be ready for next season? Or is is a two year process like Oak?

I'm not happy to report that I got some nasty poison Ivy on my arms and legs from this scrounge! My friend got it even worse than I. Next time I won't wear shorts and a t-shirt!

any help IDing these logs? CL score very little info available. The pealing bark has me dreaming of S.B.H.

Attachments

• wood id 1.jpg
    wood id 1.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 297
Black Birch can get pretty large around here, with 24 to 30 inch diameter trees fairly common, and a few larger ones. Great wood to process and burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.