Wood ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billfred

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2015
indy
It was laying in the woods for awhile. No bark left on it. At first I thought it was ash however it doesn’t have the tell tale BB hole in the middle. And doesn’t split as easy as the ash I have. Kind of pinkish on the inside. Somewhat stringy to split. 20% moisture right out of the woods, hardly any rot.
IMG_4473.JPG
IMG_4474.JPG
IMG_4476.JPG

Looks like ash to me.

Elm all day long..first clue...no bark....second clue long vertical split....smaller stuff standing dead can go straight in the stove...I cut it every chance I get!

Attachments

• IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2436.jpg
    IMG_2436.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 138
Great. I’m slowly learning this stuff. I first thought ash, but I’ve split a lot of ash and this was definitely not the same.

Great. I’m slowly learning this stuff. I first thought ash, but I’ve split a lot of ash and this was definitely not the same.
Consider yourself blessed if you have a bunch of it...a guy can get ahead pretty quick with it..

I would agree with Tar12, it’s elm, looks like maybe Red Elm. If it was American Elm & on the ground it would probably be rotten or at least that’s my experience. Red Elm usually stands dead longer & will lay for a lot longer & still be good.

I would agree with Tar12, it’s elm, looks like maybe Red Elm. If it was American Elm & on the ground it would probably be rotten or at least that’s my experience. Red Elm usually stands dead longer & will lay for a lot longer & still be good.
You are correct It is indeed Red Elm...there is a lot of it here.

There is more around here than I thought but lots dies out at 6”-8” dia. I usually take about every last stick/branch of it. Those limbs are usually still in surprisingly good shape. I stumble onto a 16” - 20” occasionally.

Great. I’ve got a lot of barkless stuff laying around. Maybe it’s elm.

Yep, red elm(slippery). Sometimes you will see big sheets of bark laying on the ground by it where it falls off. Very good stuff when you find it like that. Splits relatively easy, dry, rot resistant, and packs the BTUs. I love finding it.

And an added plus, it is very clean wood if you are burning it in the house because it doesn't have any bark.

Reactions: Tar12
There is more around here than I thought but lots dies out at 6”-8” dia. I usually take about every last stick/branch of it. Those limbs are usually still in surprisingly good shape. I stumble onto a 16” - 20” occasionally.
Same here.

Great. I’ve got a lot of barkless stuff laying around. Maybe it’s elm.
Test cut it..even if its not elm but is solid you can burn it.

I like to carry a hatchet & give it a whack or two. You can usually tell by feel & sound if it’s to far gone or where any solid spots are, plus a little chip out while let you know if it’s American or Red.

I just realized you are in Indy...I am a hour and 20 minutes northwest of you up 74

I think you guys are right. Changing my id to red elm. The bark round in the background really looks like ash so i didnt pay as much attention, but maybe thats from another tree. Funny i got some dead red elm last year. Looks just like this stuff. Fresh splits had a tangy sweet smell too. I love it, good score.

Yeah sorry. Stuff in background of pic with bark is Ash. Thanks.

Yeah sorry. Stuff in background of pic with bark is Ash. Thanks.
Now ya tell me! Haha lol.
Ash + Red Elm = hot stove/happy people.

Red elm's my guess too. Though I seldom get to see it.