Wood ID Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hawkeye4771

Dec 3, 2009
western NY
Been cutting up a fair amount of this wood recently. I'm guessing a type of Hickory from the nuts but not sure from the bark. The wood is good close grained and easy enough to split.

hickory1.jpg hickory2.jpg hickory3.jpg hickory4.jpg hickory5.jpg

Everything says Hickory except the part about being easy to split. I've found Mockernut or Pignut Hickory to be hard to split by hand.
Can't tell from the leaves which variety. They have compound leaves with 4-8 leaflets per leaf depending on variety.

I wacked a 12 inch diameter hickory and it was all I could do to split a 15 inch long piece. Took 8 strokes with the maul to split that small piece. I don't know what type hickory it was.